I am having trouble getting different types of devices discovered and
typed properly. In general, routers have one community string, servers
have another, and printers just use public. I put all three strings into
the network discovery options, but only servers and routers were types

After some investigation, I have determined that the network discovery
task will NOT probe devices with the community string 'public' if there
are any other community strings in the list. If I put three strings in
the list: string1, string2, and public, it only uses string1 and
string2. If I remove string2, it only uses string1. If I remove both
string1 and string2, then it probes with public and collects information
from the printers.

While I now know I can get around the problem by getting printers off of
the default community string, any explanation would be great.