PDA

View Full Version : It's gonna be bad...



Homebrewer
25-Jun-2007, 03:10 PM
Fire season that is... When I got home Friday, CDF (California
Department of Forestry) had at least 10 trucks on the road just past
where we live. In the past they have come by to check the properties in
the neighborhood for fire clearance and determined if any homes we to be
designated DNS (do not save). I'm thinking "Why so many trucks?" and
then I see the neighbors property. Black Ground. Dead/Dying Trees. I
panic and look at the property line and those GREAT firefighters had
created a firebreak on the property line except for one small section
(20' x 100') where the fire did cross the line. Found out later that
the neighbor had been on his old riding lawnmower and apparently it had
backfired. He didn't see any fire, but his daughter had some garden
chemicals in the garden and they got hot enough to really get it going.
So his front yard (about 5 acres) is completely devoid of native grass
and many of the old oaks will probably not make it. Also his 100'
Monterey Pine is gone. So Saturday we have our fence guy come out to
repair the fence (where CDF had to cut to get on our property to create
the firebreak), and the neighbor comes riding over (on that same mower)
to talk. I couldn't believe it. I wanted to tell him - maybe it's time
to either get that thing tuned up or replaced! Next year I'm creating
my own firebreak...

Now the forest near Meyers (South Lake Tahoe) is on fire. Over 2000
acres burned, 220 homes lost and only 5% contained.

It's gonna be bad this year...

Mary Matthews
25-Jun-2007, 04:11 PM
If you can, plant some orange trees around the edge of your property. They
take a very long time to burn and can be a good "backup" fire break. It
was one of the blessing of living on my family's grove. Especially when we
awoke to that familiar smell of burning brush and saw the fire racing down
the hill a mere mile away (to some that may seem far enough, but when the
winds come, it's not far). Luckily for us a grove got in the way long
enough for the CDF to establish a good line and fit it down.

Where are you in CA? I hope the winds die down...wish we could send some
rain your way...maybe if we all blow hard on the clouds already dropping
some moisture in the MidWest...

Good luck and I hope you're area stays safe!

Timothy Leerhoff
25-Jun-2007, 04:16 PM
> Next year I'm creating my own firebreak...

Think mote....with or without aligators, your choice.

--
Timothy Leerhoff
Novell Support Forum Sysop

Homebrewer
25-Jun-2007, 04:59 PM
We are moving in two years (retirement) and I don't think trees would do
much at this point. There's mostly native grass / weeds on the property
line so a break should protect us next year (there's nothing left to
burn this year so we should be safe on that side).

We live in the foothills just east of Sacramento so it's (very) dry and
starting to get hot.

Homebrewer

Homebrewer
25-Jun-2007, 05:01 PM
Timothy Leerhoff wrote:
>> Next year I'm creating my own firebreak...
>
> Think mote....with or without aligators, your choice.
>
We used to have a pond, but all it did was breed mosquitoes and dried up
before the end of July. So we took it out two years ago and the pest
problem has almost been completely solved...

Mary Matthews
25-Jun-2007, 07:37 PM
Yep, familiar with the area....sis & bro live in Sacto (Natomas area),
Mom's in Oakhurst...cousins had property in NewCastle...pretty areas during
winter.

Timothy Leerhoff
25-Jun-2007, 08:30 PM
> We used to have a pond, but all it did was breed mosquitoes and dried
> up before the end of July. So we took it out two years ago and the
> pest problem has almost been completely solved...

Skeeters use surface tension to float their breathing tubes at the
surface. Some dawn dish washing liquid takes care of that......

--
Timothy Leerhoff
Novell Support Forum Sysop

Homebrewer
26-Jun-2007, 12:20 AM
Timothy Leerhoff wrote:
>
> Skeeters use surface tension to float their breathing tubes at the
> surface. Some dawn dish washing liquid takes care of that......
>

Yeah, but then the stupid (and I mean stupid) sheep would probably drink
it and get sick... Plus we would rather have the grazing area rather
than the seasonal pond...

Homebrewer
26-Jun-2007, 12:21 AM
Mary Matthews wrote:
> Yep, familiar with the area....sis & bro live in Sacto (Natomas area),
> Mom's in Oakhurst...cousins had property in NewCastle...pretty areas during
> winter.

That's why we're moving to Oregon. Green all year long...

Mary Matthews
26-Jun-2007, 02:18 PM
I have cousins in Ashland (it's a big family...my grandfather was 1 of 13
kids). It's beautiful country!

Blinky Bill
26-Jun-2007, 02:25 PM
Homebrewer wrote:

> Fire season that is... When I got home Friday, CDF (California
> Department of Forestry) had at least 10 trucks on the road just past
> where we live. In the past they have come by to check the properties
> in the neighborhood for fire clearance and determined if any homes we
> to be designated DNS (do not save). I'm thinking "Why so many
> trucks?" and then I see the neighbors property. Black Ground.
> Dead/Dying Trees. I panic and look at the property line and those
> GREAT firefighters had created a firebreak on the property line
> except for one small section (20' x 100') where the fire did cross
> the line. Found out later that the neighbor had been on his old
> riding lawnmower and apparently it had backfired. He didn't see any
> fire, but his daughter had some garden chemicals in the garden and
> they got hot enough to really get it going. So his front yard
> (about 5 acres) is completely devoid of native grass and many of the
> old oaks will probably not make it. Also his 100' Monterey Pine is
> gone. So Saturday we have our fence guy come out to repair the fence
> (where CDF had to cut to get on our property to create the
> firebreak), and the neighbor comes riding over (on that same mower)
> to talk. I couldn't believe it. I wanted to tell him - maybe it's
> time to either get that thing tuned up or replaced! Next year I'm
> creating my own firebreak...
>
> Now the forest near Meyers (South Lake Tahoe) is on fire. Over 2000
> acres burned, 220 homes lost and only 5% contained.
>
> It's gonna be bad this year...

Certainly sounds bad from the news reports over here.

Good luck.

--

Craig
26-Jun-2007, 11:52 PM
Yeah...we're effectively in a drought too. Tahoe's burning but good, and
there was a nice one out by Napa/Sonoma..

Dry, and we've got idiots killing the goats~


Maybe they'll catch him after they catch the anthrax guy...................



"Homebrewer" <Who@Wants.To.Know> wrote in message
news:b1Qfi.1388$Rg7.759@prv-forum2.provo.novell.com...
> Fire season that is... When I got home Friday, CDF (California Department
> of Forestry) had at least 10 trucks on the road just past where we live.
> In the past they have come by to check the properties in the neighborhood
> for fire clearance and determined if any homes we to be designated DNS (do
> not save). I'm thinking "Why so many trucks?" and then I see the
> neighbors property. Black Ground. Dead/Dying Trees. I panic and look at
> the property line and those GREAT firefighters had created a firebreak on
> the property line except for one small section (20' x 100') where the fire
> did cross the line. Found out later that the neighbor had been on his old
> riding lawnmower and apparently it had backfired. He didn't see any fire,
> but his daughter had some garden chemicals in the garden and they got hot
> enough to really get it going. So his front yard (about 5 acres) is
> completely devoid of native grass and many of the old oaks will probably
> not make it. Also his 100' Monterey Pine is gone. So Saturday we have
> our fence guy come out to repair the fence (where CDF had to cut to get on
> our property to create the firebreak), and the neighbor comes riding over
> (on that same mower) to talk. I couldn't believe it. I wanted to tell
> him - maybe it's time to either get that thing tuned up or replaced! Next
> year I'm creating my own firebreak...
>
> Now the forest near Meyers (South Lake Tahoe) is on fire. Over 2000 acres
> burned, 220 homes lost and only 5% contained.
>
> It's gonna be bad this year...

Richard Beels
27-Jun-2007, 04:23 AM
see if his muffler has a spark arresting screen.


--
Cheers!
Richard Beels
~ Network Consultant
~ Sysop, Novell Support Connection
~ MCNE, CNE*, CNA*, CNS*, N*LS

Homebrewer
27-Jun-2007, 02:13 PM
Richard Beels wrote:
> see if his muffler has a spark arresting screen.
>
>
> --
> Cheers!
> Richard Beels
> ~ Network Consultant
> ~ Sysop, Novell Support Connection
> ~ MCNE, CNE*, CNA*, CNS*, N*LS
>
>
CDF did and it does...