PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using Nagios



Rick Chisholm
05-Jul-2007, 09:30 PM
I have a question. Since I'm running it on BSD, I could probably ask it in
here...

--
http://brokertech.parallel42.ca/blog

Jay Calderwood
05-Jul-2007, 09:30 PM
Rick Chisholm wrote:
> I have a question. Since I'm running it on BSD, I could probably ask it in
> here...
>

I have ran it.... What is up yo?


--
Jay Calderwood
http://jaycalderwood.blogspot.com

Quote: "I have worked HARD for everything I have. A beautiful family
which includes a beautiful Soon-to-be wife,
a bunch of beautiful healthy kids, 2 annoying pooches, and an occasional
Pooh Bear (silly ol' bear he is).
Like I said I worked hard for what I have and I'm not going to lose this
because this is what I always have wanted.
I need to remove those cancerous people from my life to keep what I
have, and I will. I'm tired of all
the backstabbing and deceit. This is my world, I created it, now it is
time to kill what I let happen. I will not turn back."

Rick Chisholm
05-Jul-2007, 09:45 PM
Jay Calderwood wrote:

> I have ran it.... What is up yo?

the web UI seems to indicate that things are not being checked - except for
localhost. I just have a few routers setup in hosts.cfg, just simple
check_host_alive - nagios starts without config file errors, log just says
no service define for host a, host b etc.

status just reads pending / host not checked yet

service detail only lists the localhost services as defined in
localhost.cfg, but not the services I have since defined in hosts.cfg

I'd feel better if it gave me an error.

--
http://brokertech.parallel42.ca/blog

Keith V. Klenke
05-Jul-2007, 09:58 PM
Just mrtg here, but looking at nagios & the free "groundwork" addon for it,
but perhaps may just use zenoss core as a replacement for mrtg/nagios
instead.

--
http://abeNd.org - Novell News for IT Professionals
"Rick Chisholm" <rchisholm@SPAMsouthlandonline.com> wrote in message
news:cxcji.3254$8i6.2649@prv-forum2.provo.novell.com...
>I have a question. Since I'm running it on BSD, I could probably ask it in
> here...
>
> --
> http://brokertech.parallel42.ca/blog

Jim Pye
06-Jul-2007, 12:45 AM
Rick Chisholm wrote:

> Jay Calderwood wrote:
>
>> I have ran it.... What is up yo?
>
> the web UI seems to indicate that things are not being checked - except
> for
> localhost. I just have a few routers setup in hosts.cfg, just simple
> check_host_alive - nagios starts without config file errors, log just says
> no service define for host a, host b etc.
>
> status just reads pending / host not checked yet
>
> service detail only lists the localhost services as defined in
> localhost.cfg, but not the services I have since defined in hosts.cfg
>
> I'd feel better if it gave me an error.
>

Rick

Run the nagios with the following switches:

nagios -v nagios.cfg

This checks the correctness of the config file(s), a pre-flight check if you
will. Urgh a shiver just went down my spine - Arcserve

The main cfg file is the nagios.cfg file that specifies the other files,
about 10% into mine it looks something like:

# JTP 20060121 Commented out
#cfg_file=/usr/local/nagios/etc/minimal.cfg

# Following is the sample filenames
cfg_file=/usr/local/nagios/etc/contactgroups.cfg
cfg_file=/usr/local/nagios/etc/contacts.cfg
#cfg_file=/usr/local/nagios/etc/dependencies.cfg
#cfg_file=/usr/local/nagios/etc/escalations.cfg
cfg_file=/usr/local/nagios/etc/hostgroups.cfg
cfg_file=/usr/local/nagios/etc/hosts.cfg
cfg_file=/usr/local/nagios/etc/servicegroups.cfg
cfg_file=/usr/local/nagios/etc/services.cfg

and so on.

My picking is you have not specified the file you have your configuration in
properly in the nagios.cfg file so it is not being read correctly. If I
remember correctly the only host configured by default is localhost.

HTH
Jim
www.pyenet.co.nz

--
Pye, James Pye, chmod 007
The Ultimate Open Source

Lee Garner
06-Jul-2007, 01:07 AM
Rick Chisholm wrote:
> Jay Calderwood wrote:
>
>> I have ran it.... What is up yo?
>
> the web UI seems to indicate that things are not being checked - except for
> localhost. I just have a few routers setup in hosts.cfg, just simple
> check_host_alive - nagios starts without config file errors, log just says
> no service define for host a, host b etc.
>
> status just reads pending / host not checked yet
>
> service detail only lists the localhost services as defined in
> localhost.cfg, but not the services I have since defined in hosts.cfg
>
> I'd feel better if it gave me an error.
>

I'm a little unclear on whether you've set up services, or only host
checks. Host checks aren't really what you want under normal
conditions. I'd just set up a ping test in your services.

If you did that, and are using different config files (localhost.cfg,
hosts.cfg, etc.) then check nagios.cfg and make sure all your files are
being used.

Rick Chisholm
06-Jul-2007, 02:58 AM
Jim Pye wrote:
> Run the nagios with the following switches:
>
> nagios -v nagios.cfg

done that - sanity check passes, no errors

> My picking is you have not specified the file you have your configuration in
> properly in the nagios.cfg file so it is not being read correctly. If I
> remember correctly the only host configured by default is localhost.

my nagios.cfg is simplified but does point to localhost.cfg, hosts.cfg,
resource.cfg, cgi.cfg, commands.cfg correctly - all of which have been
checked and re-checked.

I've also checked into the slight directory structure differences and
made any changes necessary - but since Nagios was built from ports
things are more or less quite correct.

thanks though

Rick

Rick Chisholm
06-Jul-2007, 03:01 AM
Lee Garner wrote:
>
> I'm a little unclear on whether you've set up services, or only host
> checks. Host checks aren't really what you want under normal
> conditions. I'd just set up a ping test in your services.

yeah, I started with the host checks - but did not get anywhere and on
looking at the PING check running proper with the localhost config, I
tried to emulate that in my hosts.cfg - but so far no luck, but I might
be on the right path.

> If you did that, and are using different config files (localhost.cfg,
> hosts.cfg, etc.) then check nagios.cfg and make sure all your files are
> being used.

I will keep checking, re-checking, reloading and praying.

;-)

Rick

Mark (mgh)
06-Jul-2007, 03:04 AM
> Urgh a shiver just went down my spine - Arcserve

I felt a shiver too. What a PITA.

Rick Chisholm
06-Jul-2007, 02:07 PM
moving in the right direction I think -

removed check_command from the host definition and applying check_ping to
the routers group. curious - why have that check_host_alive feature if it
seems to do nothing relevant?

--
http://brokertech.parallel42.ca/blog

unsigned@ @digerati.us
06-Jul-2007, 02:20 PM
Yep, I've almost vanquished that beast, one left I believe.

Mark (mgh) wrote:
>> Urgh a shiver just went down my spine - Arcserve
>
> I felt a shiver too. What a PITA.