PDA

View Full Version : Need a better search tool than windows search.



Patrick Farrell
14-Jul-2007, 04:33 AM
I need to search a few TB of files.. Windows search is slow and you
can't output the results.

Effective file search is good because I can give it multiple search
phrases, multiple folders to search instead of the whole drive and
multiple file extensions... But.. It just crashes halfway through on any
computer I run it on..

Suggestions?

Lindsey Johnstone
14-Jul-2007, 04:39 AM
Patrick Farrell said,

> I need to search a few TB of files.. Windows search is slow and you can't
> output the results.
>
> Effective file search is good because I can give it multiple search phrases,
> multiple folders to search instead of the whole drive and multiple file
> extensions... But.. It just crashes halfway through on any computer I run it
> on..
>
> Suggestions?

TreesizePro

--
Lindsey

Lindsey Johnstone
14-Jul-2007, 04:42 AM
Or DiskTriage.

--
Lindsey

Jim Henderson
14-Jul-2007, 04:47 AM
On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 03:33:27 +0000, Patrick Farrell wrote:

> I need to search a few TB of files.. Windows search is slow and you
> can't output the results.

Search how?

By this, I mean if you're trying to search just by filename, find a copy
of POSIX 'find' and that'll do it pretty quickly.

If you're looking to do contents of files, that depends a lot on what's
in the files. If it's text files, I use grep myself, that's about as
quick as they get without some sort of indexing ability.

Jim

Keith V. Klenke
14-Jul-2007, 05:32 AM
What about google desktop?

--
-------------------------------------------
http://abeNd.org - Novell news for professionals
-------------------------------------------
"Patrick Farrell" <pfarrell@packereng.com> wrote in message
news:buXli.1150$QE3.495@prv-forum2.provo.novell.com...
>I need to search a few TB of files.. Windows search is slow and you can't
>output the results.
>
> Effective file search is good because I can give it multiple search
> phrases, multiple folders to search instead of the whole drive and
> multiple file extensions... But.. It just crashes halfway through on any
> computer I run it on..
>
> Suggestions?

Sewermonger
14-Jul-2007, 06:28 AM
Yew could fdisk the drive and install one file. That wood speed up the
search quite a bit.


--
Sewermonger

<-----\|||/------>
>----(@@)-----<
ooO_(_)_Ooo________________________________
_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|
___|____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|___
_____|_____ Sewermonger _____|_____

Jim Henderson
14-Jul-2007, 07:32 AM
On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 05:28:10 +0000, Sewermonger wrote:

> Yew could fdisk the drive and install one file.

Nah, no files is better - then you know there's nothing to find. :-)

Jim

Sewermonger
14-Jul-2007, 08:18 AM
I figure 1 since he was looking for just one.


--
Sewermonger

<-----\|||/------>
>----(@@)-----<
ooO_(_)_Ooo________________________________
_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|
___|____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|___
_____|_____ Sewermonger _____|_____

Jim Henderson
14-Jul-2007, 08:43 PM
On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 07:18:10 +0000, Sewermonger wrote:

> I figure 1 since he was looking for just one.

If there's zero files, then you know it's not there. :-)

Jim

Timothy Leerhoff
14-Jul-2007, 10:40 PM
Beagle?

Course this runs on Linux......

--
Timothy Leerhoff
Novell Support Forum Sysop

Patrick Farrell
15-Jul-2007, 06:31 AM
Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 03:33:27 +0000, Patrick Farrell wrote:
>
>> I need to search a few TB of files.. Windows search is slow and you
>> can't output the results.
>
> Search how?
>
> By this, I mean if you're trying to search just by filename, find a copy
> of POSIX 'find' and that'll do it pretty quickly.
>
> If you're looking to do contents of files, that depends a lot on what's
> in the files. If it's text files, I use grep myself, that's about as
> quick as they get without some sort of indexing ability.
>
> Jim

For example

Search n:\work n:\shared n:\private *.doc *.wpd *.xls *.qpw *.eml *.rtf
*.pdf *.txt for "Hello World" "next tuesday" or "novell netware"

Patrick Farrell
15-Jul-2007, 06:31 AM
Keith V. Klenke wrote:
> What about google desktop?
>
To index 3TB of files?

Patrick Farrell
15-Jul-2007, 06:34 AM
Lindsey Johnstone wrote:
> Patrick Farrell said,
>
>> I need to search a few TB of files.. Windows search is slow and you can't
>> output the results.
>>
>> Effective file search is good because I can give it multiple search phrases,
>> multiple folders to search instead of the whole drive and multiple file
>> extensions... But.. It just crashes halfway through on any computer I run it
>> on..
>>
>> Suggestions?
>
> TreesizePro
>

Love TreesizePro but I'm not aware of it's ability to search inside
files for strings...

I have a situation of someone needing to locate documents containing a
list of about 20 terms (if it hits on any of them, list it), all are
going to be of say *.doc *.xls *.ppt *.wpd *.qpw *.pdf *.txt created
between X and Y dates. They don't know what they are called or where
they were stored. So that leaves me searching 3TB of files assuming
said docs even exist.

Patrick Farrell
15-Jul-2007, 06:35 AM
Patrick Farrell wrote:
> I need to search a few TB of files.. Windows search is slow and you
> can't output the results.
>
> Effective file search is good because I can give it multiple search
> phrases, multiple folders to search instead of the whole drive and
> multiple file extensions... But.. It just crashes halfway through on any
> computer I run it on..
>
> Suggestions?

Basically Effective File Search is exactly what I need, in concept it
works great. For some reason however the program just closes several
minutes into the search :( Looking for something similar that doesn't
poop itself :)

And the files are on a Netware server.

Jim Henderson
15-Jul-2007, 07:07 AM
On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 05:31:02 +0000, Patrick Farrell wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>> On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 03:33:27 +0000, Patrick Farrell wrote:
>>
>>> I need to search a few TB of files.. Windows search is slow and you
>>> can't output the results.
>>
>> Search how?
>>
>> By this, I mean if you're trying to search just by filename, find a
>> copy of POSIX 'find' and that'll do it pretty quickly.
>>
>> If you're looking to do contents of files, that depends a lot on what's
>> in the files. If it's text files, I use grep myself, that's about as
>> quick as they get without some sort of indexing ability.
>>
>> Jim
>
> For example
>
> Search n:\work n:\shared n:\private *.doc *.wpd *.xls *.qpw *.eml *.rtf
> *.pdf *.txt for "Hello World" "next tuesday" or "novell netware"

Grep *might* be able to handle it if the files contain the text as text -
if it's structured data, then you need something that can understand he
file formats and decypher them. An indexed engine would be best, no
doubt.

As a Linux user myself, I use Beagle; it's written in Mono, so perhaps
it'll run on Windows...

Jim

Massimo Rosen
15-Jul-2007, 12:00 PM
Hi,

Patrick Farrell wrote:
>
> And the files are on a Netware server.

Why didn't you say that? In that case, exactly one possible answer:
Quickfinder.

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Novell Product Support Forum Sysop
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de

Anders Gustafsson
15-Jul-2007, 06:43 PM
Novell QuickFinder?

- Anders Gustafsson, Engineer, CNE6, ASE
NSC Volunteer Sysop
Pedago, The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

Novell does not monitor these forums officially.
Enhancement requests for all Novell products may be made at
http://support.novell.com/enhancement

Using VA 5.51 build 315 on Windows 2000 build 2600

Jay Calderwood
16-Jul-2007, 01:39 PM
Patrick Farrell wrote:
> I need to search a few TB of files.. Windows search is slow and you
> can't output the results.
>
> Effective file search is good because I can give it multiple search
> phrases, multiple folders to search instead of the whole drive and
> multiple file extensions... But.. It just crashes halfway through on any
> computer I run it on..
>
> Suggestions?

Remove all windows machines and replace them with Apple machines and use
spotlight?

--
Jay Calderwood
http://jaycalderwood.blogspot.com

Quote: "I have worked HARD for everything I have. A beautiful family
which includes a beautiful Soon-to-be wife,
a bunch of beautiful healthy kids, 2 annoying pooches, and an occasional
Pooh Bear (silly ol' bear he is).
Like I said I worked hard for what I have and I'm not going to lose this
because this is what I always have wanted.
I need to remove those cancerous people from my life to keep what I
have, and I will. I'm tired of all
the backstabbing and deceit. This is my world, I created it, now it is
time to undo what I let happen. I will not turn back."

-- or --

If you would like to purchase this space for you're own creepy comment,
like the one you see above, please email.

Paul Wolf
16-Jul-2007, 02:45 PM
Have you tried just using the command line utility Findstr?

Paul W.

unsigned@ @digerati.us
16-Jul-2007, 02:49 PM
Yup, that would do it.

Massimo Rosen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Patrick Farrell wrote:
>> And the files are on a Netware server.
>
> Why didn't you say that? In that case, exactly one possible answer:
> Quickfinder.
>
> CU,

Patrick Farrell
16-Jul-2007, 02:49 PM
Massimo Rosen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Patrick Farrell wrote:
>> And the files are on a Netware server.
>
> Why didn't you say that? In that case, exactly one possible answer:
> Quickfinder.
>
> CU,

QF won't index that volume. I've tried, but I think it's just too big.
Used to work great back when it was about 1.5 TB but now that it's
pushing 3, no go.