Nokia E61 are causing A LOT OF physical connections to the POA
I have a user with a Nokia E61 that we got a lot of problem from.
Resetted him and uninstalled Intellisync from the device. After
reinstallation and reactivation nothing in the calendar sync is working.
He also causes all other online users at the same POA to get
errormessages.  The server or Postoffice Agent is no longer
responing...... and no new users can login at all. We got over 600
physical connections to the POA. If I Stop the Intellisync server and
remove the user we can start up again and the POA is Ok. But in the User
activity log is a lot of NestedExceptions.