I am very new to LDAP, so I apologize if I am unclear, or don't provide enough information.

Each of our Novell 6.5 servers has their own LDAP Server and LDAP Group Object. We have 2 Novell 6.5 replica servers at our HQ office, one holds all of the masters, the other holds all of the r/w's; all other servers hold a r/w replica of their own container.

We are using a Helpdesk ticketing product from Numara called 'Footprints'. We have it pointing to one of our replica servers to pull its LDAP information. When we do a ticket search in Footprints, we are seeing strange output in Footprint's 'User ID' field. This field's output also differs if we point Footprints to the other replica server, so we have some attribute mapping difference between them as well I believe.

The Footprints 'User ID' field is mapped to the LDAP 'cn' attribute. When I look at the NDS 'LDAP Group' Attribute Mappings, CN's Primary LDAP mapping is 'cn', and its Secondary LDAP mapping is 'commonName'. This cn mapping is identical on both replica servers' LDAP Group object.

What's showing up in the Footprints ticket pull is the cn name correctly, but then, if there is any entry in the User's 'Other name' field, within their NDS Object's General tab, Footprints puts a semi-colon after the cn field and adds this other field's contents as well. I have pasted an example of the first few lines of output we're getting if we type in the last name 'Smith' in Footprint's Last Name search field. Now, for some reason which we don't know yet (not asking for an answer here either), 50% of the users have a default container template name in their 'Other name' field. I cannot see this 'Other name' field attribute in the LDAP Group attributes, or using DSBrowse on the User Info or LDAP Group object on the master replica.

So, any help is appreciated as to how to find/delete the NDS 'Other Name' field attribute, which appears to be a secondary 'CN' attribute mapping that I can't find anywhere. I am aware I can just delete all NDS 'Other name' field entries within the NDS User Objects to get rid of this 'template - Other name' output, but I'm just trying to understand where it's coming from.

We did test changing the Footprints User ID field mapping to the 'uid' LDAP attribute, but then the Footprints search results had about 1/2 of its output have blank 'User ID's in the User ID column on users whose User ID column showed correctly (well, with appended 'Other name' entries) when using 'cn' as the Footprints User ID LDAP mapping. The 'Other name' field didn't show up though - no 'templates' in the search output.

User ID
Last Name
First Name
Email address

080806MSMITH5
Smith
xxxxxxx
080806MSMITH5@xxx.org

112906VSMITH2
Smith
xxxxxxx
112906VSMITH2@xxx.org