I learned a very important lesson. If you suspect that the install has
failed, don't try to fix all the errors you see, simply find out what
broke the install, if possible, and run it again. I did have to find out
why startx wouldn't run but that was just a minor configuration issue
due to the failed upgrade. When I re-ran the upgrade from the GUI, it
completed successfully this time and almost all my problems went away.
The only problem I have left is that GW webaccess is broken, because of
the change from apache to apache2 most likely, but that's another forum.
Thanks to Anders and Barry who patiently gave me helpful input.