First off, let me start with the OS/hardware in question:
NW 6.5 SP4A (OES1).
Dell PERC 4/Di controller with two 3-disk RAID 5 logical volumes on a PEdge 2600.

There are two Netware volumes on my server, SYS (TFS) and DATA (NSS). The SYS volume sits on the first RAID 5 logical drive, the NSS pool containing DATA is spread across both RAID 5 logical drives, some on the logical drive with SYS on it, and most of it on the second, which contains nothing else aside the DATA pool.

A drive failed on the second RAID array, and we had it replaced this morning. The engineer put the new drive in, and it still came up as FAILED in DELLMGR, the Perc 4/Di Netware util to confirgure the RAID arrays. The server started up fine though, and DATA mounted without a problem and was accessible, the second array running successfully from just the two remaining drives. The problems stared when the engineer marked the new drive as active rather than failed in DELLMGR, which should have kicked off a rebuild of the new drive in the array. On the server console, however, there were messages indicating that DATA had been dismounted due to inconsistencies in the pool.

We shut down the server, went into the Perc 4/Di BIOS, and forced a rebuild of the new drive in the array. After this had completed, bringing up the server still causes DATA to fail due to its not being able to find volume segments. Remote Manager can see the DATA pool across both RAID logical drives, however it won't activate, and an NSS /poolrebuild fails pretty much straight away. So it looks like I need to restore DATA from backup.

However, as I can't mount DATA, it looks like I need to recreate the pool and the volume. How can I do this without deleting the DATA volume object in NDS? I'm concerned that I'll need to reset everyone's home directory property at the very least, as they all link to the DATA object I'll have to delete. Does anyone know how I can do this restore and retain the DATA object?

Also, the RAID controller really shouldn't have behaved the way it did. Has anyone seen this happen with a PERC 4/Di before, or have we done something stupid at our end when replacing the drive?

Sorry to be so long-winded and fire off so many questions, but this is not what I expected to happen after a fairly straighforward drive replacement.

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks.