1. We just started rolling out the 4.91 SP2 client to our 3200 XP PCs. The servers are running NetWare 6.5 SP5, with all post-sp5 patches. The current Novell client version is either 4.90 or 4.91 SP1, depending upon when the machine was imaged.

Our Helpdesk started receiving complaints about slowness of the login process and slowness when retrieving/saving Excel and Access files. This was occurring only at sites with the new Novell client.

I believe that this has something with the opportunistic locking and file caching settings on the server and client. I think I remember dealing with this under NetWare 5.0.

There are 2 lines listed at the top of all our NetWare 6.5 autoexec.ncf files that I believe were added when we went to NetWare 5.0 or 6.0 several years ago. When we upgraded to NetWare 6.5, they weren't auto-remmed out during the upgrade, so I left them alone.

The new 4.91 SP2 Novell client has file caching enabled. We disabled it and it 'fixed' the slowness problem felt at login and file retrieval/saves. However, I'm not sure if that's what should be done for the long-term solution. Instead, should I have left the client setting alone (file caching on), and changed the Novell server's setting to ON for the File Cache Enabled line?

I did search the knowledgebase, and I found several articles on opportunistic locking, but none that answered the file cache setting question - or it's quite possible I missed it.

2. Also, should Level 2 Oplocks be turned ON in the Autoexec.ncf if we aren't using any databases like QuickBooks? All of our servers have MS Access databases, so maybe we need to keep oplocks OFF on all of our servers? Is there an Oplocks setting in the Novell client? If so, should it just match whatever setting we have it set to on the Novell server?

Thanks for your help.