Recently a client's NW6 sp3 server was forcibly powered off so it did
not
get a graceful shut down. When power returned, the story went that
they ran
VREPAIR on the SYS volume (non-NSS) and it was OK. I was called in
when no
one could get their email and the tech noticed that utilization was at
100%.

After a couple of hours of troubleshooting I discovered that the
reason some
people could get mail and others could not was because dhcp services
had
stopped supplying IP addresses. Unloading dhcp did not remove the 100%

utilization, but unloading both JAVA and dhcp did make utilization
drop to
normal levels. Once both JAVA and DHCP had been unloaded, JAVA could
be
reloaded and utilization stayed at normal levels. After searching the
TIDs,
I could find very little relevant.

When I reviewed the LOGGER screens, I found that the first error
occurred
when the message
CSSYMSG-1.0h-2500FB was displayed.
"An error has been detected while attempting to access the SysMgr
Btrieve
data file. Unload CsSysMsg.NLM and deleted
SYS?SYSTEM\CSLIB\CEWRAP.DAT &
all temp files at SYS:SYSTEM\CSLIB\LOGS\SMLOGS & then reload
CsSysMsg.NLM.

I followed those instructions, but that did not fix it. Then I
noticed a
second error
PSVCS.NLM Load Status BAD FORMAT

To make a long story short, I compared the file PSVCS.NLM on a known
good
server to the one on the bad server. Even though the dates and the
version
numbers and the length of the files were the same, I found that theirchecksums differed. After I replaced the bad file with a good one, I
no
longer got the PSVCS.NLM BAD FORMAT error when loading PSVCS.NLM.

A bit futher down the LOGGER screen, I noticed similar BAD format
message
when trying to load NSLCGI.NLM and again found exactly the same file
version, length and date, but different checksums. I replaced the bad
one
with the good and then I could load without error. After fixing both
of
these, I was able to load DHCPSRVR and not have 100% utilization and
best of
all, it starting passing out IP addresses as it should have. Once the
users
had IP addresses, they (of course) had no problem getting their
Groupwise
email.

Anyway, I hope that this saga will help some other hapless soul with
100%
utilization erors.

Vern