Hey all,

I have been struggling with this for about a year now, and I am getting frustrated by this. NW6.5 sp5.

We are running iPrint with Dynamic DNS. We have all of these mobile printers that travel from VLAN to VLAN. Every VLAN they goto they get a new ipaddress (duh).

In DNS, the old ipaddress is removed (both forward and reverse) and the new one is put into place. I verified this by just looking in iManager and DHCP/DNS console. Yet, when you ping the object by name, on the server console, something returns the old address. This old address will be returned for as little as 30 minutes, or as long as a day. Eventually the new address will work.

With that, if I do "named -pa" at the server console everything is cool. EVERYTHING needed to resolve a current name works just fine.

I have created a CRON job that runs "named -pa" every 15 minutes but wouldn't you know it, that still isn't acceptable. I changed it to every 5 minutes and then my server abends on named after about a day.

So now I am thinking, there must be a way to ALWAYS check the DNS database for records instead of some secret local cache. Yes, I checked the hosts file and the resolv.conf file only points to itself to resolve.



Tom Hafemann