I am experiencing significant (in my mind :)) lag time in the web console.
For example, when I click on:
Software Compliance > Reports > Compliance Report - 12 Seconds for the page
to display
Software Compliance > License Records > View/Edit License Record > Reconcile
to Discovered Product - 22 Seconds for the page to display

Is anyone else experiencing this?

I have tried a number of things to try to find the bottle-neck.

I have an enterprise install:
Webconsole/Task Server/Collection Server all on one box: Xeon 2.8 GHz with 2
GB ram
SQL Server: Zeon 3.2 GHz with 3 GB ram - (this server runs other enterprise
databases and have excellent response times)

Both servers are not at peak cpu usage and memory usage at time of running

I also checked out the Tomcat server status in the Tomcat management console
and it has not used all of the memory and threads allocated to it. See
Free memory: 15.59 MB Total memory: 29.90 MB Max memory: 63.56 MB

Max threads: 150 Min spare threads: 25 Max spare threads: 75 Current thread
count: 25 Current thread busy: 3
Max processing time: 31219 ms Processing time: 490 s Request count: 845
Error count: 8 Bytes received: 0.06 MB Bytes sent: 9.81 MB

Then I analyzed the ip traffic between the ZAM server and the SQL server
(using wireshark) and noticed a lag in the packets being sent and received
from the SQL server. This lag time matches the lag for the report to

This leads me to conclude that the servers' hardware is adequate.
It also leads me to conclude that the problem lies in the communication to
the SQL server.

The next thing that I tried to do was capture the SQL query that the Web
console was trying to send. By looking at SQL profiler I captured the
query: SELECT DISTINCT Manufacturer FROM LC_Component c JOIN LC_TallyProduct
tp on tp.ProductOID = c.TallyProductOID ORDER BY Manufacturer which gets
called when the Reconcile to Discovered Product task is clicked. I ran this
query on the SQL server and it responded immediately.

I am not sure what to try next...