What we are doing here is staging machines on a different tree from the
production tree. When we are in production, the staging tree is no longer
visible to the PC. In staging, we image the box and then we install a
number of applications on it via the NAL. When I went through the
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE hive in the registry and changed the name of the staging
tree to a tree that could be seen in production (and had an exact copy of
the same eDirectory layout), reboot times went from 2 minutes to 30
seconds. I would be happy to dump the local_machine hive and send it off
for examination, along with tree names.