We've got a pile of Macs, both intel and non-intel, that are running OS X 10.4.10 .

I am trying to add PPD drivers to our new OES SP2 linux cluster's driver store, and so far can't figure out what is going wrong.

1. I upload PPD driver (unzipped from Mac dir /Library/Printers/PPDs/Contents/Resources/en.lproj/ , then coresponding driver renamed to .ppd extension) with windows machine to the driver store. Normally with windows drivers, this process takes 20-120 seconds, but in this case, it blinks by almost instantly and "Success ... Your changes have been saved." I click apply again.
2. I change the driver in the printer agent over to the one I just uploaded in Linux/Mac drivers and apply changes.
3. I navigate to ipp printer list via firefox or safari on mac, and attempt to install printer (all clients are running 4.26 iprint). After maybe 15 seconds after confirming I want to install this printer, I get:
"iPrinter encountered a problem trying to install the printer
No such file or directory"

~/.iprint/errors.txt contains:
"Trace Info: iprint.c, line 1175
Group Info: CLIB
Error Code: 2 (0x2)
User ID: 501
Error Msg: No such file or directory
Debug Msg: IPRINTAddLocalPrinter - readdir (/tmp/iprint-admin/tmp-VHmorV) Failed to find the .ppd (2)"
Hmm.... So I check the server to see which drivers are residing in /var/opt/novell/iprint/mod_ipp/drivers/driver_linux-2.4_x86-32-en/. Surprisingly, I only see two drivers: HP%20Color%20...blah blah and HP%20LaserJet%208100%20Series . My driver store shows that several Linux/Mac drivers are loaded (including these two), so to test I switch the printer over to use the HP Laserjet 8100 Series Linux/Mac driver instead. Voila, the test worked and the printer installs on any Mac.

So I'm stuck wondering why it is that although drivers appear to upload properly, nothing new ever gets deposited in the /var/opt/novell/iprint/mod_ipp/drivers/driver_linux-2.4_x86-32_en directory. I've only got three directories in drivers, and this is the only non Windows one.

Any ideas?

-ben knorr
Westminster College