(I copied this from the install forum)

OK, I'm about to do an upgrade and I need some advise. After a bunch of reading here's my plan and questions:

Customer has 2 older NW5.1 SP7 servers running cluster services on an IBM SAN.
Current E-Directory Version is 8.7.3
We are replacing both servers and upgrading to OES2 (Netware)

From what I can tell, here's what I think I need to do:

Upgrade both servers to SP8 (NW5.1)

Now, what's the best path? In the Novell docs I copied below it looks like after cluster prepping the servers you just do a regular upgrade to NW6.5SP6 and then upgrade cluster services. My question is can I follow the directions below to prep the cluster and then use the Server Migration tool to migrate and upgrade to new hardware and then continue with the cluster install. I figure I can do one server at a time starting with the one that is NOT the Master DS R/W
I figure this will save a lot of steps of upgrading old hardware and the migrating..
To prepare cluster servers for an upgrade, from a NetWare client run nwdeploy.exe from the root of the NetWare 6.5 Operating System CD to launch the NetWare Deployment Manager, then complete the following steps: In the NetWare Deployment Manager, open the Network Preparation Folder and then click Prepare Cluster for Upgrade>Prepare a Cluster. Continue through the screens until you get to the screen that prompts you to select an existing cluster to prepare for upgrade.

Specify the cluster name, eDirectory tree, and context for the cluster you are preparing for upgrade.

Choose whether you want the servers you are going to upgrade to go down after completing the preparation for upgrading cluster servers, then click Next to run the program for preparing cluster servers for upgrade. Bringing down all cluster servers before an upgrade ensures NSS volumes on shared storage (your SAN) are deactivated prior to upgrading to NetWare 6.5. After you have completed the process for preparing cluster servers for an upgrade, continue with Upgrading NetWare 5.1 Servers to NetWare 6.5