Home

Thread: Brainshare Session BOF1302 - Introduction to Ethical Hacking andPenetration Testing

Threaded View

Terry Cutler NNTP User

Brainshare Session BOF1302 - Introduction to Ethical Hacking andPenetration Testing

Hey All,

For those of you attending Brainshare this year, I finally got accepted to present Ethical Hacking and Penetration Testing. Just an FYI that though it's under the "Birds of a feather" category, this is much more of a demonstration session and not just a discussion. I've posted the info here incase you were interested.

All the best for 2008 !

Type : Birds of a Feather
    Technical Level : Introductory, Intermediate
    Session Length : 1h15
    Session Category : Identity and Security Management

While security is generally perceived to be a complicated and expensive process, Terry Cutler who is a Certified Ethical Hacker will make security understandable to the average person in a completely non-technical, concise, and entertaining format. Through the use of analogies and just plain common sense.

We'll talk and demonstrate the following topics :

q What an Ethical Hacker is and does
    q Why Penetration testing is important and valuable as an ongoing security initiative
    q We'll talk about some Essential Terminology
    q We'll talk about why it's important that developers start coding with security in mind
    q Details and demonstrations about the Various Phases & Types of Attacks a hacker will go through to get access, and we'll talk a little about a term called Hacktivism
    q Demonstrate some of the free open source tools you can use to conduct your own penetration .
    q We'll look at how Sentinel will try to catch me and play a role in your environment

Prevent devastating Attacks on your network by understanding the enemy. If you want to stop hackers from invading your network, first you've got to invade their minds.

Come along on the journey with our Ethical Hacker, and he'll tell you a tale like no other !

BIO :
    Terry Cutler is a Certified Ethical Hacker, Master CNE, Certified Linux Professional and an internationally known Author, Trainer, Speaker, and professional security consultant with Novell Canada. He is an expert in the fields of Novell Technologies, Penetration Testing, and Internet Safety for Children. He specializes in the anticipation, recognition, and prevention of security breaches. He consults with several of the largest agencies in Canada on how to implement Novell products and reduce risk. During his Ethical Hacker training, Terry got the distinct privilege to train with the C.I.A, F.B.I, Navi Seals and Lockheed Martin.

Mr. Cutler continues to appear on several TV and Radio programs and has written and helped research many articles for the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC) on computer security, notably "Keeping your Identity on a Short Leash" which was one of the top 10 most viewed articles for 2006 on Canada.com about protecting your Identity.

Terry is also a member of the High Technology Crime Investigation Association (HTCIA), and the Center for Internet Security (CIS).

Terry P Cutler
    Master CNE , CDE, CLP9&10, Certified Ethical Hacker
    PSE - Premium Services Engineer
    Novell Canada, Software for the Open Enterprise

Terry P Cutler
    Master CNE , CDE, CLP9&10, Certified Ethical Hacker
    PSE - Premium Services Engineer
    Novell Canada, Software for the Open Enterprise
    http://www.novell.ca

This message has been created and distributed on Novell's Open Source Desktop: Novell SuSE Linux
    Last edited by kgroneman; 25-May-2016 at 03:11 PM.