With this test setup, I am following the instructions verbatim and have had more issues.

Installed SAMBA OK, * * * as a PDC.* * *
Then follow the the Nows_Admin_install.pdf
Section 10 - Windows File and Print Sharing.
10.3.2 - Create Group
After going through the motions, I receive
"Choose the workstations, to which the users should have access."
There is no mention of workstation creation up to this point in the documentation!

Further reading takes me to section 10.3.7 Enabling a Domain
Complete this procedure if you chose to set up this server as a Primary Domain Controller.
1 Log in to the NOWS-SBE console.
2 Click Product and Services, then click Windows File and Print Sharing (Samba).
3 Click the Novell Samba Wiki link under Help Links. Follow the directions from the Novell
documentation site.
Checking the Wiki link (which was last modified in OCTOBER 2006!) I again hit a brick wall...The section PREPARING THE TREE says:
"You need a LUM and Samba enabled Admin user. Its primary group MUST BE the Domain Admins group you created."
Again the problem is whenever I try to create a group I need to specifiy which workstations the group members can use. Following these instructions there are no workstations setup yet. Then when I tried to manually create a workstation object from iManager, it is necessary to provide a parameter called: "UNIX CONFIG OBJECT". I searched for this parameter in the provided doc to no avail.

There is more...In an effort to try to sort out this product, I decided to consult the Official Sambab HOWTO and Reference Guide, but at over 360 pages long things are starting to look daunting, especially when compared to the ease of setting up a MS SBS server, which a junior admin can do. Nevertheless, life isn't meant to be easy, so I browsed some of the content, and while examining my smb.conf file, I found that the server name was server1-workstation!! WAY LONGER THAN NETBIOS ALLOWS. Where did the extra "-workstation" come from? On installing SAMBA the netbios name was server1! I renamed it back to server1 and restarted both nmd and smb daemons, but now a testparm lists my server "Server role: ROLE_DOMAIN_BDC". I guess because the LDAP backend contains server1-workstation as the PDC! :-( and >:( plus some #$%&^** for good measure!!

As an MCSE4,2000, CNE 4,5,6 plus >10yrs of network administration, including Server Infrastructure team lead of a multinational investment bank I have an excellent understanding of NOS'S, but NOWS-SBE stumps me again.

What is absolutely a breeze on Windows is turning out to be nightmare with NOWS-SBE.

THE PROVIDED DOCUMENTATION'S "WINDOWS FILE AND PRINT SHARING" SECTION GET'S ONLY 6 PAGES, COMPARED TO 360+ PAGES FOR THE OFFICIAL SAMBA HOWTO. I don't want to see a copy of the HOWTO but just accurate, clear, concise and TESTED documentation. I have burnt hours of my time with this, ****, and that is being polite!!

I have 2 server installs this week, and thankfully IBM offer an excellent deal with OEM MS SBS 2003 R2. If I have time, I will remove SAMBA and reinstall it with no PDC but time is of the essence and I can't afford to waste it, so it is possible that these two customers will get M$.

I TRULY EXPECTED MORE FROM THIS PRODUCT. THE NOWS-SBE DOCUMENTATION (PRODUCT) IS FLAWED IN A MAJOR WAY.
EITHER THERE HAS BEEN NO TESTING BY NOVELL OR THEY ARE HAPPY TO PRODUCE RUBBISH GLOSSED UP WITH MARKETING SPEELS.