We are currently having an issue with a specific Java applet not running when browsers are directed through our Border Manager proxy. Unfortunatelythis is a grade book program that several teachers need to be able to access so it's fairly critical.

During the testing I have done I have eliminated the possibility of a filtering issue both by unloading filters completely and also getting outside our Border Manager server. After unloading filters the applet still fails. However, unloading proxy services or putting the machine outside our Border Manager server the applet loads successfully. Whenever Internet connectivity travels through the BM proxy the applet fails. The applet fails whether it is directed through regular proxy services (on port 8080) or transparent proxy services.

The error generated by the java applet is...

Java.io.IOException: Not in GZIP format
at java.util.zip.GZIPInputStream.readHeader(Unknown Source)
at java.util.zip.GZIPInputStream.<init>(Unknown Source)
at java.util.zip.GZIPInputStream.<init>(Unknown Source)
at com.infinitecampus.appletCommunication.HTTPCommuni cator.getHTTPRequestAsBufferedReader(HTTPCommunica tor.java:202)
at com.infinitecampus.gradebook.data.DataManager.load Gradebook(DataManager..java:856)
at com.infinitecampus.gradebook.Gradebook.openGradebo ok(Gradebook.java:205)
at com.infinitecampus.gradebook.Gradebook.init(Gradeb ook.java:144)
at com.infinitecampus.gradebook.GradebookApplet.init( GradebookApplet.java:100)
at sun.applet.AppletPanel.run(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
Gradebook LOADING ERROR
java.lang.NullPointerException
at com.infinitecampus.appletCommunication.LilXMLParse r.parse(LilXMLParser.java:44)
at com.infinitecampus.gradebook.parsers.DataParser.pa rse(DataParser.java:39)
at com.infinitecampus.gradebook.data.DataManager.load Gradebook(DataManager..java:859)
at com.infinitecampus.gradebook.Gradebook.openGradebo ok(Gradebook.java:205)
at com.infinitecampus.gradebook.Gradebook.init(Gradeb ook.java:144)
at com.infinitecampus.gradebook.GradebookApplet.init( GradebookApplet.java:100)
at sun.applet.AppletPanel.run(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

We are currently running Border Manager 3.8 SP5 on Netware 6.5 SP7 server. I'm also currently running the proxy.cfg available on Craig Johnson's website. I've tried playing with the various settings in the Border Manager setup, such as "Enable Persistent Connections to Browsers" and "Enable Persistent Connections to Origin Servers". However I'm at a loss as to what could be causing this failure.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Walter Keener
Network Administrator
Allendale Public Schools
Allendale, Michigan, USA