Home

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CLDA Certification

CLDA Certification

So I signed up for the free CLDA BETA exam (051-708) which is associated with course 3086. I tried to order the self-study kit but the company that Novell farms that out to says it could take 10 days to assemble and ship (even when paying $10 extra for next day delivery)!

I run SLED 10 at home and I do have some Linux background (not necessarily with Suse), does anyone know of any decent study materials to prepare me for the SLED 10 Admin exam?

Heck, even if I fail it is still a free exam.

Jim Henderson NNTP User

Re: CLDA Certification

On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 18:36:01 +0000, rtjohnson wrote:

> So I signed up for the free CLDA BETA exam (051-708) which is associated
    > with course 3086. I tried to order the self-study kit but the company
    > that Novell farms that out to says it could take 10 days to assemble and
    > ship (even when paying $10 extra for next day delivery)!
    >
    > I run SLED 10 at home and I do have some Linux background (not
    > necessarily with Suse), does anyone know of any decent study materials
    > to prepare me for the SLED 10 Admin exam?
    >
    > Heck, even if I fail it is still a free exam.

I've passed your question along to the certifications program person and
    the testing manager - will let you know what answer I get.

Jim

--
    Jim Henderson, CNA6, CDE, CNI, LPIC-1
    Novell Training Services

Thanks. I am just looking for a good study guide that is widely available at my local book store or in downloadable electronic format. I ahve only 3 days to study for the BETA.

I know its free but I would still like to pass.

Thanks.

Jim Henderson NNTP User

On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 21:46:02 +0000, rtjohnson wrote:

> Thanks. I am just looking for a good study guide that is widely
    > available at my local book store or in downloadable electronic format. I
    > ahve only 3 days to study for the BETA.

I don't know that any material is yet available other than the 3086
    course.

> I know its free but I would still like to pass.

That's understandable. :-)

Jim
    --
    Novell Training Services

Got signed up for the beta CLDA. Taking Tuesday morning.
    Had ordered training kit the week before and gambled that I could get the free test. I'll have about 7 days to study with kit.

The material has more "meat" than I thought. Good information to build a good foundation on. I'll learn alot and also thru repetition build more linux skills.

Looks like a good course.

If you don't have course, I don't know if O'Reily or other good SUSE Linux 10 book would be good if you can't get course. And of course lots of hands on.

After canceling my order because I was told it would be up to 10 days, I just received confirmation that it shipped yesterday and is in transit.\

I ordered next day air but they are giving me a delivery date of Monday which would be I day to study. I guess it is better than nothing.

I have about 2 years of light linux desktop and server experience but I am not sure how Suse centric the test is.

LCurrie, you think it is possible to get through the material in a day and get anything useful out of it?

Thanks.

Tim

I think it depends on your experience. If you have been using SLED 10 for a while and Linux in general you will be able to fly thru some sections quickly. When the kit arrives, figure out where your weak points are and study those.
    I think there are 15 sections plus a workbook. I did Linux+ a year ago and have been using Linux for almost 2 years now. I'm taking little steps each month.
    Best to grab a good SUSE Linux book and start preparing before study kit arrives. Know the basic commands. I love the O'reiley pocket guide of linux commands. Plenty of hands-on since this is a practicum test. You can read the summary of the course and get an idea of what will be covered.
    I'm taking test on Tuesday. There are two books. I just finished Chapter 8. But, I am reading every word and highlighting, etc.... I've learned several things already. I'm trying to get on and do workbook exercises too.
    There is more meat to this course that I would have thought.
    I think this is a certification that will be a very good first step for someone wanting to get started with SUSE Linux and Novell certifications. Starting with CLP was overwhelming for me. I have to support my current job load and then also study for test. I do more than just Linux. And then there was the version 9 or version 10 factor. I wasn't sure I could study the version 9 before version 10 came out, so I haven't tried yet.

Well I've just taken the CLDA exam this afternoon.

As a SuSE user since the pre-Novell days and a current CLP/CLE10 I was surprised how tough I found it, albeit not having seen any course material. It's more akin to the CNE-style exams in terms of the requirement for brute-force knowledge remembrance (command syntax, file locations etc...) as opposed to the CLP/CLE which give far more of an opportunity to demonstrate practical capability and initiative.

Come back tab-completion & man pages, all is forgiven!

Quote Originally Posted by alextoft View Post
    Well I've just taken the CLDA exam this afternoon.

As a SuSE user since the pre-Novell days and a current CLP/CLE10 I was surprised how tough I found it, albeit not having seen any course material. It's more akin to the CNE-style exams in terms of the requirement for brute-force knowledge remembrance (command syntax, file locations etc...) as opposed to the CLP/CLE which give far more of an opportunity to demonstrate practical capability and initiative.

Come back tab-completion & man pages, all is forgiven!
    =======
    I just took the CLDA exam today and I would also say it was tougher than I thought it would be. I had the course material for a few days to study with. I think it has very good content and the information in the course is applicable to real world needs. Even though it is a desktop test, some of it helps with learning linux and the server side also. I'm MCNE, CDE, Linux+.

I think this should be a popular course and certification. I think this course along with something like Linux+ helps to build a sound SUSE and Linux foundation so more advanced topics can be understood later.

Jim Henderson NNTP User

On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 04:36:01 +0000, lcurrie wrote:

> I just took the CLDA exam today and I would also say it was tougher than
    > I thought it would be. I had the course material for a few days to
    > study with. I think it has very good content and the information in the
    > course is applicable to real world needs. Even though it is a desktop
    > test, some of it helps with learning linux and the server side also.
    > I'm MCNE, CDE, Linux+.
    >
    > I think this should be a popular course and certification. I think this
    > course along with something like Linux+ helps to build a sound SUSE and
    > Linux foundation so more advanced topics can be understood later.

Thanks - I've passed this back to the cert team as well as the course
    development team. :-)

Jim

--
    Novell Training Services

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast