I've encountered some problems in testing on a Single Server, SQL2005,
eDirectory enabled installation. I put these here in case anyone else has
the same problem, and in case Novell actually take problems logged here in
order to improve the next version.

Basically the Management Console was starting OK, but if I exited out from
it, I was unable to restart the Console, and resorted to rebooting. 2

1/ firstly the Event Log had some errors generated the 2nd time of startup:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Senforce Management Service Agent 3.0
Event Category: None
Event ID: 0
Date: 3/4/2008
Time: 1:54:07 PM
User: N/A
Computer: ENDPOINT

General Information
Additional Info:
ExceptionManager.MachineName: ENDPOINT
ExceptionManager.TimeStamp: 3/4/2008 1:54:07 PM
ExceptionManager.FullName: Microsoft.ApplicationBlocks.ExceptionManagement,
Version=1.0.1616.15402, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
ExceptionManager.AppDomainName: managementserveragent.exe
ExceptionManager.WindowsIdentity: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM

1) Exception Information
Exception Type: System.ApplicationException
Message: The package 7679fd5c-a2db-4737-9f0f-f226f9599628 was unable to be
processed and has been returned to the queue. The exception was: Conversion
failed when converting from a character string to uniqueidentifier.
TargetSite: NULL
HelpLink: NULL
Source: NULL

2) Exception Information
Exception Type: System.Data.OleDb.OleDbException
ErrorCode: -2147217900
Errors: System.Data.OleDb.OleDbErrorCollection
Message: Conversion failed when converting from a character string to
Source: Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server
TargetSite: Int32 Update(System.Data.DataRow[],
HelpLink: NULL

StackTrace Information
at System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.Update(DataRow[] dataRows,
DataTableMapping tableMapping)
at System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.Update(DataSet dataSet, String
Senforce.Security.MobileManagement.AuthenticationS erver.AuthenticationAgentServices.ImportPackageDat a(OleDbTransaction
importTransaction, MemoryStream packageData, String packageTypeName)
Senforce.Security.MobileManagement.AuthenticationS erver.AuthenticationAgentServices.ReplicateClientD ata()
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

- I thought that this might be because of the naming string I had set for my
eDirectory authentication: instead of COMPANY-TREE1, I changed this to
COMPANY, and these errors stopped. Either it didn't like the hyphen, the
numeric, or the length; I suspect the hyphen!

2/ Even though no errors were being thrown, I was still unable to start up
the Console a 2nd time. I checked in Task Manager, and this showed that an
instance of PolicyEditor.exe was left running when I was exiting the
Management Console by File/Exit or closing the window. A new instance was
starting but was then failing. The workaround was simply to kill the
orphaned PolicyEditor.exe in Task Manager. It then just starts up again


Martin Farrer