I have a question regarding workstation name resolution.

Our office recently added a 2nd subnet because we are running out of IPs on our single 192.168.1.x subnet. We added 192.168.2.x.

We have a Novell Netware server running all of our DNS and the DHCP only for subnet #1. We have a Cisco switch handing out the DHCP addresses for subnet #2.

The problem I am having is that workstations on subnet #2 are unable to refer to computers on subnet #1 by computer name.

I first tried to add the needed names to the sys:\etc\hosts file on the Novell server running the DNS server. This does not seem to have any effect.

So, the quick fix has been to add the needed computer names to the C:\windows\system32\drivers\hosts file on the workstations. This seems to work, but is not the ultimate solution.

Now, my question... Does DNS on a Netware server support Dynamic DNS, which would register the workstation names with the Netware DNS server ?

Reading about how this works in Windows, it sounds like I need to have a WINS server running. But, it also appears that this was true for Windows NT server and Windows 2000 server, but that Dynamic DNS replaced it for Windows 2003.

Do I have to have a Windows server in my environment in order to handle this, or is there a way to make it work in Netware ?