We recently purchased a Dell PowerVault RD1000 with the intent of using it to backup a NetWare 6.5 server and then converting the server to SLES10 and continuing to use the RD1000 for backups. Before purchase we checked through Dell support and were told this unit would work with Novell and Linux, and the Yosemite backup software would work with Novell and Linux.

Our unit is a external USB connection device, but as I understand, internally it is a SATA drive and controller.

We have successfully attached the drive to the NetWare 6.5 server, Partitioned it and set pools and volumes via iManager and NSSMU, and can copy data to and from the drive. We also have set up through ArcServe 11.1 a File System Device (FSD) which recognizes the drive volumes and are currently in the process of testing the backup capability.

We separately initialized each data cartridge and set up the pools and volumes under different naming (backup1, backup2, etc.) thinking if we named them all the same we would corrupt the eDirectory object.

The issue we are having at this point is each time we swap out disk cartridges, Arcserve has to be reconfigured for the FSD.

We tried using Yosemite, and it also sees the drive if initialized through NetWare, but will not write to it, saying the device is busy. While talking to Yosemite support, I was told that though they do support Novell, they do not support the RD1000 on Novell (no driver). And though they support Linux, and even SUSE Linux, they do not support Novell SUSE (Difference in the code?). They did say we could attach the device to a Windows box, then load Yosemite on both the Windows box and the Novell server through their "domain structure" and backup the server that way, including the eDir. We are testing this also but are having some difficulties with Yosemite seeing the SAN drives correctly.

My theory is this: Isn't a CD Drive basically a removable hard drive? If the backup softwares can see and save to a CD or DVD, then why not to a removable hard drive?

Does anyone have a solution for this issue? And does anyone know how this will function on the SLES Server? Or does anyone know another backup solution we could use that would support this drive?