After otherwise very successfully migrating from Netware 4 to Netware 6.5 SP6 on a new Dell PowerEdge 2900, I'm still facing a minor problem that I have been unable to resolve and that may very well turn into a major headache at some point:

There seems to be no way of getting the UPS to communicate via the PE 2900s single build-in COM port, no matter how I set up the port in the PEs BIOS.
The AIOCOMX.NLM either reports the IRQ in use (COM1) or loads happily (COM2), but neither Powerchute nor AIO_UPS are able to communicate. The FORCE, NOFIFO and MAXRATE=9600 options are not helping either.

I'm hoping that someone out there has a similar setup that is working and might be able to tell me what I'm missing. It may very well have something to do with the console redirection feature of the PE 2900, but there has to be some way around that obstacle...

The UPS Cable is OK, as communications still work when I hook it up to our old PE 2650. The UPS-Type is also not the deciding factor, as PCBE can't communicate with our SU1400 or SU700 either.

The Involved parties are:

Dell PowerEdge 2900 (Modell ECM01, Manf. Date 07/17/07)
BIOS Version 2.2.6 (Latest)

APC Smart-UPS SUA1500I (USB & Serial)
connected via APC 940-0024C Cable

APC PowerChute Business Edition Agent 7.0.5 for Netware

Novell Netware 6.5 SP6

Current BIOS settings for Com2: (Com1 doesn't work either)
Serial Communication: On without Console Redirection
External Serial Connector: Com2
Failsafe Baud Rate: 9600
Remote Terminal Type: VT100/VT200 (the other Option is ANSI)
Redirection After Boot: Disabled

Startup.NCF for PCBE:
UNLOAD AIOCOMX
SEARCH ADD SYS:\PowerChute\Agent\lib\netware
SEARCH ADD SYS:\PowerChute\Agent\bin
LOAD AIOCOMX PORT=2F8 INT=3 #COM2
# MAKE SURE THE COMMUNICATIONS DRIVER
# IS LOADED BEFORE THE NEXT LINE
LOAD JAVA
LOAD JSPNW
LOAD NATCOMM
ENVSET CWD=SYS:\PowerChute\Agent
ENVSET CLASSPATH=$CLASSPATH;$CWD\lib\AdvSnmp.jar;$CWD\lib \application.jar;$CWD\lib\jsdk.jar;$CWD\lib\activa tion.jar;$CWD\lib\jspComm.jar;$CWD\lib\sss.jar
ENVSET CLASSPATH=$CLASSPATH;$CWD\lib\mail.jar;$CWD\lib\ut il.jar;$CWD\lib\m11.jar;$CWD\lib\ds.jar;$CWD\lib\p cbe_ds.jar;$CWD\lib\Serialio.jar;$CWD\lib\sss.jar; $CWD\Resources\Japanese.jar
ENVSET CLASSPATH=$CLASSPATH;$CWD\comp\AliCommunication.ja r;$CWD\comp\CommandFileRunner.jar;$CWD\comp\DataLo gger.jar;$CWD\comp\DiscoveryListener.jar;$CWD\comp \EventLogger.jar;$CWD\comp\EventTracker.jar;$CWD\c omp\Host.jar;$CWD\comp\http.jar;$CWD\comp\picard.j ar;$CWD\comp\PowerSource.jar
ENVSET CLASSPATH=$CLASSPATH;$CWD\comp\QueryServer.jar;$CW D\comp\Security.jar;$CWD\comp\ShutdownBehavior.jar ;$CWD\comp\Shutdowner.jar;$CWD\comp\SimpleBroadcas ter.jar;$CWD\comp\SMTPMailer.jar;$CWD\comp\SNMPAge nt.jar;$CWD\comp\UPSManagerAutoUpdate.jar
ENVSET CLASSPATH=$CLASSPATH;$CWD\comp\shutdownerlets\OSSh utdownerlet.jar;$CWD\comp\shutdownerlets\ExchangeS hutdownerlet.jar;$CWD\comp\shutdownerlets\SQLShutd ownerlet.jar;$CWD\comp\shutdownerlets\SiebelShutdo wnerlet.jar;$CWD\comp\shutdownerlets\NotesShutdown erlet.jar;$CWD\comp\shutdownerlets\IISShutdownerle t.jar
JAVA -mp0 -Dpicard.main.thread=blocking -DSERIAL_PORT_LIST=COM2; -jspcbe -ns com.apcc.m11.application.PicardApplication @critical.cfg

LOAD AIOCOMX PORT=2F8 INT=3 returns:
Installed I/O Address 0x2F8 (Interrupt Number 3) as Board 1, Port 0
16550 device detected - FIFOs enabled
Driver rated at 19200bps (RXT=4/TXQ=16)

Thanks,
Mike.

P.S.: I have considered buying an additional serial interface card, but there don't seem to be any available for PCI-Express that do not require special drivers, which of course then turn out to only being available for Windows... :-/