Hi guys,

Apologies in advance for the detail flood, but I am not sure what is important and what is not in this.

We have a network running OES SP3. Users have XP SP2 and Client 4.91 of varying SP levels. IE 6 is for most everyone, but the problem persists with IE 7 as well.

Their Favorites folder as well as their My Documents folder on their home (H:\) drive. They used to be able to save favorites there with no problem until sometime a while back.

Now when they try and add a new favorite in IE 6, they get "Unable to create 'website name': The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process. [OK] IE 7 produces a slightly different error wording, just saying it's an "Unspecified error".

After they click OK, there will be not one but two slightly different entries in their favorites folder, neither of which works.

For example, if I save Google's home page as a favorite, after the error, there are two new entries in Favorites: one called "Google" and a second called "google.com-" (with the dash at the end)

Both of the links have that Windows "mystery icon" that it affixes when it doesn't know what the heck kind of app to use to open it. Double-clicking either will result in the message "The target "" of this Internet Shortcut is not valid. Go to the Internet Shortcut property sheet and make sure the target is correct."

The problem seems to occur only when trying to save Faves to the network drives. Switching back to the local drive will save favorites normally.

Any ideas on what is going wrong here?