Hi. We are getting ready to take admin rights away from our users and make them standard users. We plan to utilize Zen for most of our in-scope applications so that we can allow users to install supported software. There is usually no problem in that case because Zen can elevate to System access during the install. However, we know that there are applications out there that a user may want to install that is not packaged in Zen. Also, in the event that a system setting needs to be changed, we will have to have a method for supporting this. In either case, the user will call our help desk. Unfortunately, the user will not have enough rights to do the install or system change even if the help desk associate remote control's the PC. What is the best practice to handle this situation in a Netware/Zenworks environment where users only have limited access?

I was thinking of three possibilities:
1.) The obivous one is to send a technician over to log in using local admin credentials to install the software or perform the change. (Drawback - not very efficient because a desktop tech would have to get over to the user's PC to perform the work)
2.) Have the help desk engineer log out of the machine through remote control, log back in as local admin to install the software or perform the change. (Drawback - not very convienant and time consuming.)
3.) Have the help desk engineer use the "run as" command or even create a Zen application object that could be executed to provide temporary rights for installing software or making system changes. Aaron Margosis of Microsoft writes about this quite a bit in his blog Aaron Margosis' "Non-Admin" WebLog : Table of Contents (Aaron Margosis' Non-Admin WebLog) (Drawback - some software or settings will not work properly using this technique)

The last one that I didn't list was creating a new application object. I did not factor this one in because this isn't always applicable to system changes and we really don't want to be making app objects for every out of scope app that exists in the user community. We typically only make them for widely used and supported apps.

Your feedback is appreciated.