I am NOT a Netware expert. All the info related to Novell is from what we had on our calls. I really appreciate your answers.

We have a volume VOL1_USERS (211GB) that is made up of a bunch of EMC volumes. Of these EMC volumes, there is one volume that is of 17.5 GB which is built on stripe size of 4 cyl. We are migrating to a new array and EMC's SRDF cannot copy the data from a volume of 4 cyl stripe size to a volume of 2 cyl stripe size. Creating a 4 cyl stripe size on the target array is not possible because the only stripe size supported is 2 cyl stripe size.

What are the best ways to move data from this volume built on 4 cyl stripe size to a volume on 2 cyl stripe size on the source array so that we can SRDF to the target?

There are two options that are being talked about

(1) Create a sub mirror with a stripe size of 2 cyl for the problematic disk (17.5GB) using NSSMU and then remove the original sub mirror with a stripe size of 4 cyl. I heard of Novell's inability to let go off the sub mirror once it detects a sub mirror. Another source I am talking to has told me that partfix/m can get rid of the original sub mirror after creating a mirror.

How simple/risky is this process? Is this a normal simple operation?

(2) Use Novell's NetWare Server Consolidation Utility for migrating the whole 211GB to another volume which is either 211GB or bigger.

Which of the above two is easier?

Which of the above two is simpler?

Which of the above two is less risky?

Which of the above two involves more down time?

Which of the above two has more performance impact on the system, if we were to do this on a live production system?