So, with MSIs, deploying stuff is a doddle. The MSI is uploaded to the content server, and it simply splats it down onto the PC, installs it, et voila, your app is there.

So far, I've managed to do quite a few like this, and it works like a charm. Even Oracle 9i is playing nice.

What I now have are a few EXE-based installers. In this case, it's the installer for RealPlayer Enterprise. If you don't know, RealPlayer Enterprise Manager allows you to configure a profile for RealPlayer (including it not taking over your system) and roll this into a custom EXE installer. In our case, all you have to do is run the EXE, and it installs, associates with just Real filetypes, and doesn't get in the way. Perfect.

The trouble is, deploying it with ZCM. I'm a bit loathe to re-package it, as it's pretty much ready to roll. Basically, I'm wondering if it's possible to have a .EXE file uploaded to the content server, then pulled down when needed, run, and installed. It would help things if it's possible. My workaround was to have a batch file run the installer from a server location, but that doesn't seem to work, as running as dynamic administrator, it can't seem to see the server (it's all AD-based). Could be a rights issue, I dunno, but either way, I'm not convinced it'll work. At least with Zen 7 and the NWClient, the workstation had rights to go get files, but that doesn't seem to be the case here. Or have I missed something?

Comments, suggestions?

PS, ZCM is by far the best version as far as application deployment goes. It's a LOT less hit-and-miss, and a joy to work with.