Hello All,

I'm looking for a solution in distributing applications. Right now we're running a mixed environment when it comes to user privileges on machines. Students are all power users on lab machines, faculty members are mostly administrators on their workstations. We're looking to move from this model to an administrator-less environment.

Faculty machines where the user is an administrator are no big deal. I can use a network install MSI bundle and install the application that way, or use a launch windows executable action to run an installer that isn't an MSI. The problem is with non-administrator machines at the moment.

With ZEN 7 I've always dealt with the student issue by creating a simple application object that runs an AutoIT script. This script copies all the files from a specified location on the network to the hard drive, where the next application object can then run the installer as an unsecure system user.

Since we're moving to an administrator-less environment, what I'd like to do is come up with some sort of solution to this problem.

Copying all the setup files to the hard drive greatly increases the hard drive space requirement for any given application (e.g. the files exist on the hard drive, then the MSI copies all of those files to its temporary location, then the application is actually installed). Not to mention, the "Install Directory" action is unreliable at best. I tried it with Adobe CS3, which is around 1.5 gigs. It took overnight to get past the "Still packaging on the server" stage, and this morning when I tried running the bundle with just the install directory action it failed with "Illegal characters in the path".

I would still use the AutoIT script, but with the advent of XP SP3 and Vista, the user is prompted a number of times because the EXE isn't signed, and each time the script calls another executable out on the network. This just isn't acceptable. The purpose of the AutoIT script is to avoid any need for user interaction during the install process.

Is there a way that I can grant the dynamic administrator account created when running an action as a dynamic administrator rights to a specific network drive that the user has access to?

Thank You,