Hi all,

This may be a long one, but I want to make sure I get all my info in...

This weekend I migrated a NW6.5SP7 server from old hardware to new VM session. Old hardware was unstable and this is a temporary fix until I can start my upgrade to Linux. Things went great, NDPS went flawlessly, file rights, all that.

I had replicas on the old server of [root] and the first level container, .kcsos, as well as replicas of the containers of the users who utilize this server. I removed [root] and .kcsos replicas before the move, left the other two.

We use a container for aliases, have for years... login.kcsos. All the workstations are set to login.kcsos. (Hopefully LDAP after upgrade)

When users started trying to log in this morning, most logged in just fine. However, some were getting the following error:

"Internal error OXFFFFD89 occured. Try again, if the error occurs again restart your workstation and try again. If the error persists contact your network administrator."

I couldn't find any reference to this error anywhere.

After a couple of phone calls, I discovered that the workstations that couldn't get logged on were running client 4.90, service pack level varied (these sites are scattered all over the county).

I sent a support tech to the closest site. She updated the clients and users logged in fine. Sent another tech to the far-off sites. The first site she goes to, she updates the client and still gets the same error. She changes the user context from login.kcsos to the user context and user logs in. I deleted the alias and recreated it, had her put the context back to login.kcsos, user logs in fine.

I readded the .kcsos replica to the server.

My questions....

Was it the missing .kcsos replica that was causing the problem?
Has putting the replica back fixed it (I am unable to verify, not sure if support tech is on her way to the next site or coming back to the office)?
Any idea why some, but not all, users logging in with aliases were having problems?

I hope this makes sense and appreciate any assistance.