I've been scratching my head on this all day. We have been trying to decide if we wanted to spend the money on external shared storage. Called Novell...explained our situation - (not running GroupWise or other services)....new OES2 servers are strictly for data volumes. We have purchased two hot shot servers (quad core processors, 16 GB RAM, 16 TB storage [that's what we have left after RAID6]. The guy from Novell said that since it's strictly a file server, that we should be able to mirror the two servers, etc....

So, I've been trying to set these two servers up in a cluster (without external shared storage), and then mirror the nss partitions. In the event of a server failure, the other server takes over, and data is readily available (we were going to try and hook the two servers up with a fibre channel). I'm starting to think this isn't possible (and if it is, would someone PLEASE tell me how it's done). If it's not possible to do it with a cluster, is it possible to just set up the mirror between the two servers? I have tried to create a new RAID device on one server, but it doesn't allow me to choose a partition on the other server. Am I just having wishful thinking that this might work? Or is my only solution to purchase a SAN?

Thanks in advance!