OK, here's a bit of an odd problem... well, actually, I hope it's an insanely easy problem that I just have overlooked a simple solution for. I guess that's for you guys to help figure out. ;)

We had been running Zenworks on an OES1 Linux server with a few odd problems, mostly with remote management and inventory, but we never had a problem with connecting to it for imaging purposes (at least not since I took over management of the box not that long ago). Considering the remote management and inventory issues, I decided to update it to the latest version just to make sure it wasn't an issue that had already been fixed, but now that I have done that we can no longer connect to the imaging server for imaging. While I'd still like to get our original problems fixed, I'm more concerned about the imaging itself and can then revisit the first.

How I went about the upgrade: I followed the instructions at section 4.3 at ZENworks 7 Desktop Management with Support Pack 1 Interim Release 3a. Running ZDMstart shows "done" for bringing everything up, but when I try "/etc/init.d/novell-zmgserv status" it tells me that the Daemon is stopped; when I try "/etc/init.d/novell-zmgserv start" it says "failed".

When that failed, I downloaded the ZEN7_with_SP1_IR2_DesktopMgmtLinux.iso and ran that installation, then went through the steps on 4.2 to upgrade. (OK, this particular maneuver may not have been my smartest.) Same end results though.

I do recognize that I'm walking into a situation I didn't set up and there were other problems to start with. I have a feeling by the end of the year we'll be migrating to an OES2 server but, to be blunt, that project has been put off for other reasons here and again and I'd like to have something to work with in the meantime. Any idea where exactly the failed attempts would be logged to give me more to work with (I don't see anything in /var/log/messages)? Any other thoughts/suggestions are more than welcome; thanks in advance!