I am running into an interesting and annoying issue at one customer. The server is brand new. It has had the motherboard and processors replaced, but unless we disable the ACPI, the server runs ridiculously slow and there is even a lag time at the keyboard. I have installed every patch available and all current drivers. The problem has not been resolved. Now, in addition to that, there is another problem. I re-installed the server from scratch with sp7. Right after I did that, the server would not close down properly because I hadnt yet installed the new usb patch (this is a Dell 2900 and the shutdown problem is well known the usb patch fixes that). So, the server had to be crashed in order to shut it down. After the server came up once with sp7, I installed the post sp7 patches. When I re-booted, I got all kinds of errors and messages that there were crosslinked files on both SYS and DATA. I ran a rebuild of both volumes and, on Data, since there was no data on it anyway, I deleted the Orphans file. Everything seemed to run well (as long as ACPI was not running) and I copied the data files to the server. The next day when we tested everything, the data files were not visible, but the database program pointing to those files still ran properly. We decided to blow away the Data Pool and Volume and re-copy the data. Everything looked good and a day or two later there was a power outage. The server came back up fine after the power outage (it was on a small UPS but not a Smart-UPS). A few hours later, the server was re-booted and wouldnt mount the Data volume. We ran a pool rebuild and it indicated that 58 files would be lost if we continued there was no option to continue. We ran the pool rebuild again and this time it ran, but it did delete the 58 files. There is nothing running on this server other than a foxpro database and some print queues. We contacted Dell and did the diagnostics and the drives and RAID controller all passed with flying colors. We called Novell and they said that there are no known NSS issues w/ sp7 all of those issues were fixed post sp6.
Is there some setting we might be overlooking? Someone suggested disabling the write cache on the array - I haven't checked to see if it is enabled or not - is there anything else anyone can recommend?

Sue

Anyone have any ideas?

Sue