Running XP Pro SP2, Client 4.91 SP2, and SP1 IR3a agent.

The issue is really apparent on older, single core systems, laptops in particular. I'm not really surprised by this. I believe it is due to the local group policies that we're pushing out. The policies are associated to the workstation and scheduled to deploy at startup. On the older machines (Latitude D410/610 1.86 GHz Pentium M Single Core, 1 GB Ram), I can see the hard disk light solid while the disk is thrashing at bootup for about 2 minutes or so. I believe as the policies are processing, the users are attempting to login which in addition to the policies, Zen apps kick off, AV starts up, etc. This leads to a very painful login experience on these systems. Once I disabled the policy on the system and deleted the Group Policy folders, I did not see all the disk activity that was going on before.

Now on our dual core laptops (Latitude 620 Core Duo 2 GHz, 1 GB Ram) the activitly while still present is not nearly as bad as the light will flicker on and off but the machine holds its own and so logins are still reasonable even while the policies are processing.

Is there anything that can be done to help with this type of issue or is it simply a matter of our hardware just is not powerful enough to deliver the proper result? We are still in the testing stages of using local group policies. We do not currently push any policies to the workstations via Zen. We're a federal gov't organization and have been mandated to comply with a long list of settings. These have been delivered to us in the form of an Active Directory GPO which we have imported into Zen, about 500 settings in total. I'm sure this in and of itself is a problem that can negatively impact performance. Unfortunately these settings are relatively non-negotiable so we're going to have to push them one way or another.