I have a system running on win2k3 boxes, originally on 7.03 with GMS and a BES server both connecting.

Upgraded to v8 everything worked fine BES and GMS continued workingall was well in GroupWise world.

I then applied the .1 patch and now on that server when GMS tries to authenticate a user via SOAP the POA crashes. It took a while to figure out what was causing the crash but it is certain that GMS causes it.

If I try and authenticate a user that exists the agent crashes, if the user does not exists I get a user does not exist message and the agent does not crash.

So in the meantime I copied the domains and PO's to another win2k3 server, ran the 8.1 installation, started the agents and the BES and GMS all work fine exactly as they should do.

formatted and reinstalled the original server, installed the 8.1 agents, tested SOAP - same error as before.

re-formatted and reinstalled the original server AGAIN, created a 7.03 system, tested SOAP, works fine. Upgraded it to 8.1, SOAP crashes the agent with exactly the same error.

once again formatted and reinstalled the original server, installed the 8.0 agents, guess what - SOAP crashes the agent, again with the same error

POA error

Faulting application gwpoa.exe, version 8.0.0.4910, faulting module gwenv1.dll, version 8.0.0.4910, fault address 0x00469a1b.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

security log error - seems to be related...

Object Open:
Object Server: SC Manager
Object Type: SC_MANAGER OBJECT
Object Name: ServicesActive
Handle ID: -
Operation ID: {0,587800}
Process ID: 460
Image File Name: C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
Primary User Name: SRVGRPWISE$
Primary Domain: HOWITT
Primary Logon ID: (0x0,0x3E7)
Client User Name: NETWORK SERVICE
Client Domain: NT AUTHORITY
Client Logon ID: (0x0,0x3E4)
Accesses: DELETE
READ_CONTROL
WRITE_DAC
WRITE_OWNER
Connect to service controller
Create a new service
Enumerate services
Lock service database for exclusive access
Query service database lock state
Set last-known-good state of service database

Privileges: -
Restricted Sid Count: 0
Access Mask: 0xF003F

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

any ideas?