I have a mixed environment NW65sp7/SUSE system using timesync. I have one of the nw65 servers serving as a single reference, pulling from 3 external ntp sources, and all the other boxes (including the Linux boxes) as secondaries pulling from the reference server. This has worked without a hitch for well over a year now.

Starting the weekend of 3/9/09 (Daylight Savings Time changeover), my reference server would not pull time from my external NTP servers. Nothing changed as far as configuration goes. It starts a poll, then the NTP packets time out, and it says it cannot communicate with the external server(s). I have one server set up as an [IP address]:123, so it cannot be a DNS issue (and it can ping the server(s)). Again, I emphasize this worked flawlessly over a one-year period.

I set up my personal workstation to use internet time, then pointed the reference server to it to obtain time. This works intermittently.

The debug screen shows:

Start Poll
^^^Polled server TIME-B.NIST.GOV:123 NTP Source
offset.h = 00000000 offset.l = 5D401964
^--NTP Request Packet Timed out
*** Unable to communicate with server 128.109.131.102:123! ***
*** Unable to communicate with server TIME.NIST.GOV:123! ***
^^^Polled server 10.2.5.248:123 NTP Source (< my workstation)
offset.h = FFFFFFFF offset.l = D0BF7964
Uniform Adjustment Requested: +89 Milliseconds
This server is configured as a REFERENCE
Wed Mar 11 09:38:49 2009

Anyone have an idea what I need to do to get this straightened out? I don't feel comfortable using my workstation as the external source, as I thrash it pretty hard. And sometimes it doesn't like that.