We recently upgraded to Novell Netware 6.5 and are using BorderManager 3.8
(sp3b). Every time we issue a page request, the "403 forbidden" error is
sent back, however, when you hit refresh on the browser, the page is then
displayed like normal. I've tried clearing out browser cache. Same thing.
Even read down about that issue with Symantic AntiVirus e-mail scanning
interfering with Client Trust. We run McAfee. I disabled e-mail scanning
there and it worked for a bit but then started again. The Novell clients
are all running 4.90, 4.9sp1, or 4.9sp2. It happens on all of them. How
do we keep this error from being displayed only once on each valid page