Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but this seemed like the least intimidating place to start and I figure you all could point me in the right direction.

I am the IT department for a small law firm in Phoenix and am looking to replace their nearly 10 year-old Netware 6.5 server. We have been looking at our options and I am considering setting up a SUSE Linux from Novell server.

Do you all think I would be getting in way over my head to even think I could set up a new server myself? To do it I would basically need step by step guidance from square one. Is there anything out there say a virtual (or physical) Idiots Guide to setting up a Novell server- that would give me step by step guidance in English (I dont speak network lingo). Could I find help/guidance in forums?

Our needs are pretty basic:

File server
Print Services

The questions I have are numerous

Best Hardware?

And I am sure there are dozens of issues I dont even know to ask.

I would need to migrate files and groupwise mailboxes from our current server.

A little background: My IT skills consist of some innate talent but almost no formal training. My network experience is purely as a user I have never set up a network of any kind before. I am in this job by the wonderful power of nepotism. That said, I enjoy a challenge and have always seemed to be able to figure out anything I want to when it comes to computing (Self taught is MS Access, SQL, ASP, etc.)

I can take my time setting up the server, and I pretty much have carte blanche when it comes to making decisions about the network and investing $.

Could it be done?