Hello,

Oke, as ALWAYS there is issues with the stupid rights in Windows operating systems....

Is there anyone whom successfully deployed Windows Media Player 11, with help of "Enterprise Deployment Pack" via ZENworks when the target user is NOT an admin?

I havnt asked after the new unofficial EDP for WMP11, i made the msi-package together with the EDP for WMP 9/10. Yes, this should work for a succesfull deployment of WMP11.
Here's what i've done:
1. Downloaded the installationpackage of WMP11 with swedish lauguge-pack, wmp11-windowsxp-x86-SV-SE.exe. And also the EDP, mpedp.exe.
2. I installed WMP11 on a clean mashine, and made my configurations.
3. I installed EDP.
4. Copied the installationpackage of WMP11, wmp11-windowsxp-x86-SV-SE.exe over to the folder C:\MPEDP\Redist. Renamed this copied file to mpsetup.exe.
5. From a command line, i run C:\MPEDP\mpedp.exe.
6. I made my options here, and let the repackaging be made and later on i found my complete msi-package, C:\MPEDP\release\mpsetupedp.msi.
7. Used tuner (adminstudio) and changed some registrykeys to get rid of the annoying validation that pops up after the first start of WMP11, disabled the autoupdate and etc.
I removed the entry of "You need to be admin to make this installation" under the LaunchCondition-table.
And lastly i changed the Versionnumber from 10.0.0.3802 to the correct one, 11.0.5721.5145. In the Setup Properties. Since the EDP is made for 10, it thinks its still the version of 10...

From here i used my msi+mst in ZENworks, used the property "Distribute in Workstation Security space if...." and associated my workstation, granted file rights via Common > File Rights to the msi+mst.

When i later try to distribute it with a NON-admin user, the installation get thru and no errors occurs from zenworks.

But when i start wmp from the start menu i get up WMP9 (since its installed by default from XPSP2 or/and SP3 i guees?)

When you made a successfull install of WMP11 you will get the following logs:
The location of these logs is, %WINDIR%\
..\wmsetup.log (the core installer log file for wmp11)
..\wmfdist11.log ( a detailed results for WMFDist11.exe)
..\wmp11.log (these are the detaild results for WMP11.exe)
..\Wudf01000Inst.log (these are the detailed reulsts for the UMDF portion of the install)
..\updspapi.log (these are the detailed reulsts for update.exe)

Oke, my issue is that the only log-file that apears is wmsetup.log. After Ive tried to deploy it with ZENworks.

The information i get is (i didnt copied the beginning of the log-file):

Setup commandlines are C:\DOCUME~1\Standard\LOKALA~1\Temp\IXP001.TMP\setu p_wm.exe /NoPID /Q:A /R:N /DisallowSystemRestore.
Validation completed.
Setup beginning.
=====Building Install list.
Finished building install list. Result: '0x0'.
=====Updating Install list for UI.
Package 'MYMUSIC' is not currently installed: no version of it appears to be present on the system.
Install denied: user is not an admin.
Finished updating install list.
Install denied: user is not an admin.
Package clean-up: Cleaning up files at 'C:\DOCUME~1\Standard\LOKALA~1\Temp\WMC0000.tmp\Ro llup3.exe'.

If we compare with a succesfull log-file:

Setup commandlines are C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOKALA~1\Temp\IXP001.TMP\setu p_wm.exe /NoPID /Q:A /R:N /DisallowSystemRestore.
Validation completed.
Setup beginning.
=====Building Install list.
Finished building install list. Result: '0x0'.
=====Updating Install list for UI.
Package 'MYMUSIC' is not currently installed: no version of it appears to be present on the system.
Finished updating install list.
=====Installing Install list. Last result: 0x0.
System restore turned off for this install.
Querying service 'WMPNetworkSvc'.
Querying service 'WMPNetworkSvc' failed.

There is some lists that fails to be updated and installed?
But, what could i possibly do to get around the admin-rights issue?
Since i had deleted the LaunchCondition, of the created msi-package.. But it seems like all the exe-packages within this msi-package has their own LaunchConditions.

The sad truth is that Ive spend many hours to learn about WMP....

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Jokohanho