I am hoping that this is the right place to post this...

Some background: I am a teacher at a school with Novell Open Enterprise Server, NetWare 6.5 Server Version 5.70.07, eDirectory edirectory, client 4.91. I joined a month ago. The two people who "managed" the server are no longer with the school and not helpful even if contacted for long and complicated reasons not worth going in to here. I have once, many years ago run a NT4 file server that ran a login script. I have run Linux server at home for a few years so am not scared of console. I know what a policy is and can change it locally on a client machine. I am the only one in the school with any IT experience at all and the admin password has been handed over. I have hacked about and worked out how to get on to NetWare Administrator (v5.1.9f), Remote Manager and the server console. And that's all she wrote.

The clients are all XP Pro though the staff have a smattering of Vista because of the way laptops are contracted here.

As far as I can tell when the network was "managed" before there was a group policy set up but it is inadequate (allows too much and the kids have been taking advantage - playing networked games etc.). I need some pointers to a walk through on setting up global group policies for the students. I would google but the terminology I need for that is not yet at my fingertips.

I also want to work out how to set up directory shares and control the login scripts - at the moment a clever student can hit a hidden nework share and open up NetWare Administrator - I have seen it. They type "My Computer" in to interenet explorer and away they go. I need a policy to stop that for sure!

Any help, links, cups of strong coffee, sympathy all greatfull accepted.

I am pretty self sufficient but this is like learning Russian - I have not the foggiest where to start.