We migrated this weekend to GroupWise 8 Sp1.
One problem with GroupWise Webaccess-application on a Windows 2003-server took us hours to solve, but we have a solution.
We like to share this solution with you.
Hopefully Novell will rewrite the install-script in the next servicepack !

The problem was a that we had an error after the install of the webaccess-application. When we tried to access Webaccess we got error "HTTP Status 500" (The server encountered an internal error() that prevented it form fulfilling this request) in our browser.

The solution is the following:
We installed Webaccess-application on a drive E (not on the default C).
In E:\Novell\GroupWise\tomcat5.5\webapps\gw\WEB-INF\web.xml we changed statement




So the solution is, put a drive-letter in the path.