Dear All

I wonder if anyone could help...?

I have been attempting to set-up a standard desktop image for several weeks now and after stumbling along for a while I now have a base 'sysprep' image that when applied gives me an XP machine and installs the ZCM agent nicely afterwards, all registering into the ZCM zone and marked 'managed'.

The next stage is applying the 'standard' applications on top of this base image. Starting with the Novell Client, which I thought was pretty fundemental and should be quite simple... create some directories, copy down the install source files and then run the setupnw.exe with ACU and unattend.txt config files...

The first attempt at a 'file bundle' proved a bit of a let-down although the bundle eventually completes and installs, the install directory option used to transfer the install files took far too long, the install took the best part of half an hour... far too slow... the process seemingly halting at 50+% for the majority of the time...

Ditching this I'm now trying to deliver the 'install source' files to each newly
imaged PC via pre-boot add-on images...

I'm sure I'm missing something here as it seems, from searching for answers about the forums etc, that everyone bar muggins here gets how these add-ons work... :o)

It was easy to find the section that tells how to create an add-on image from a bundle, one tick box, but no examples on how this bundle should be set-up, do you create one with only create files/directory actions? do you have to put everything in the install action set? How best to proceed?

After this it was just another trawl through the manual to find the section that explains that you that you have to create an image bundle with an action to apply this newly created .zmg file ...and you can add other actions to apply other apps in this bundle too...

I now have an add-on image bundle, that can apply the individual app-bundles as zmg's to each newly re-imaged(sysprep'd) PC...
so near ... but... the problem I now face is that although these images download to the PC's at preboot, the files/directories that I though/hoped should be placed on the PC in a specific 'install source' location are left encrypted (I think) in the ZEN cache somewhere...

Is this a result of not creating the original application bundle correctly before using it to make the add-on image?
or is it something to do with how it's applied to the workstation...?

as an aside, It's really frustrating that there isn't a joined up example showing how to do this... I'm sure the manuals do, dictionary-like, actually explain each tab and option you could use on the system, and from this you could piece together the answer but I'm sure people would get far further far more quickly with more task based documentation...