Following TLD 7004963, all went well until the initial reboot. Now, I get an ndsconfig error. I'm being presented the 'failed to upgrade and start eDirectory' screen:

ndsconf failed to upgrade and start eDirectory
This may be due to an incorrect LDAP admin password
The online upgrade will be aborted
Check your passwords

Details ->

Checking if server is ready to service requests
unknown error 1 (1 hex) .1
ERROR /opt/novell/eDirectory/bin/ndsconfig return value = 56

I've checked and rechecked the passwords (ldap and DSFW) several times (both entering manually and creating an answer file). The tree is healthy and in sync.

Things look ok from rug's point of view:

silver:~ # rug ca

Sub'd? | Name | Service
Yes | Novell Open Enterprise Server 2 SP1 | Novell Open Enterprise Server 2 SP1
Yes | SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10 SP2 | SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10 SP2
Yes | SLES10-SP3-Online |
| OES2-SP2-Online |
Yes | OES2-SP2-Pool |
Yes | OES2-SP2-Updates |
Yes | SLES10-SP3-Updates |
Yes | SLES10-SP3-Pool |
| SLE10-SP3-Debuginfo-Updates |
| SLE10-SP3-Debuginfo-Pool |
| SLE10-SP3-Debuginfo-Online |

silver:~ # rug pd -i

S | Name | Version | Category
i | SUSE_SLES_SP3 | 10.3-1 | base
i | OPEN_ENTERPRISE_SERVER_SP2 | 2.0.2-0 | add-on

silver:~ # rug sl

# | Status | Type | Name | URI
1 | Active | ZYPP | Novell Open Enterprise Server 2 SP1 | nfs://steel.localdo...
2 | Active | ZYPP | SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10 SP2 | nfs://steel.localdo...
3 | Active | NU | |

After I abort the upgrade, all services start normally (including eDirectory, all my pools and volumes are mounted). I pointed a web browser to the server, and I was presented the Novell Open Enterprise Server 2 Support Pack 2 Welcome screen. I see nothing in any log file that indicates what is failing. I'm stuck.

I attempted the suggestions in TLD 7002557, but rebooting and attempting to spawn another window doesn't allow me to enter anything in the console, as it's waiting for the OK button to be pressed, which aborts the upgrade. I tried the upgrade from the command line, but found after killing eDirectory, there was no lock, and the upgrade still failed with the same error messages.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Is there a super secret log file somewhere I'm missing? I feel the password warning is a general error, and a red herring in my case (i could be wrong however).