We have a workstation runs a piece of software that does not work if the Novell client is installed. Previously we had been running the software on a Windows XP machine. We used CIFS to copy a bunch of data files to our Netware server at the end of the day. All of that worked.

We recently had to upgrade the workstation, and we are now running Windows 7 Pro 64bit. After adjusting the "Lan Manager Authentication Level" setting, we are able to connect.

The first issue I run into is writing file to the server. What I need to do is copy up a directory structure with some fairly large files (400-800MB) that may total up to 2-3GB. Sometimes the copy starts off fine, but we always get a "Network Error" window that says...

"There is a problems accessing \\servername\share
Make sure you are connected to the network and try again"

The other issue is we encountered is just browsing files on the server. When just browsing files/folders using Explorer, sometimes we have huge delays. Opening a folder with just a couple smaller files will take over a minute. Other times everything just works. Very intermittent.

I ran into this same issue with other Windows 7 (32 and 64 bit) machines we are testing. On those machines, I just installed the Novell Client and moved on. On this machine, this is not an option.

I have tried changing the "Lan Manager" option to "LM and NTLM" thinking disabling NTLM2 would help. I have used the IP address in the UNC path. Different NICs, switch ports, cables, etc. have all been used. Nothing improved. None of the patches since Netware SP8 seem to touch on this issue.

Copying the same data to a Windows XP, 2003, 7 machine works flawlessly.

So I am looking for any suggestions. I am at a loss and don't know what to check next. Any ideas????