I've run into a few glitches & problems on setting up the NOWS 2.5 server and have seen something, that if I'm understanding it properly, might help explain a number of issues that have popped up in the forums. We were setting up the sever with two NICs. One would be a public IP number on the internet, the other our private IP for in house. Linux sees theNICs as eth0 and eth1. We happened to set them up so eth1 was our private IP address and eth0 the public one. We had several quirky problems during the eDirectory install and getting other servers on the network to see this server, but got it working. In reviewing the system it looks to me that at least some the install routines are configured for the internal NIC to be eth0. For example one of the simba scripts located in etc/init.d/rc3.d called K11Simba contains the line
IP_ADDR=$(/sbin/ifconfig eth0 | grep 'inet addr' | sed 's/.*inet addr://' | cut -d' ' -f1)
if [ "x$IP_ADDR" == "x" ]; then IP_ADDR=; fi

This looks to me like the NIC card to query for ip address with ifconfig is hard coded to eth0. I have seen one or two other references to the specific interface eth0 in configuration files whose modification dates are well before this server was set up so they weren't changed during the install. I can't find any reference to this in the NOWS documentation.

I'm still working to get up to speed on linux, but if I'm correct in this, then at least part of the NOWS install routines require that eth0 be the internal NIC.
Please feel free to correct me if I'm missing something here.