two of our customers have problems with sending emails to explicit
One server is Netware 5.1 with Sp5 and BM 3.5 SP is up to date.
Other server is Netware 5.1 SP6 and BM 3.7 SP2.

On both machines there is the same sympton: some emails get out of
Groupwise, come into the spooling directory on the BM and will not get

delivered. The problem preexist before we patches the server.

We tried all TID that we can found, also NAT is not solving the
The email recipients are existing. We can telnet to the SMTP server.
can also do a nslookup for MX records from the BM.

The errormessage is: undeliverable mail after repeatet attempts.

Thanks for your help.