I'm in the process of migrating my NetWare 6.5 servers to OES2SP2 Linux specifically for user storage (for now). I have a NetApp FAS 2020 with options of iSCSI, NFS or CIFS. I'm trying to weigh the pros and cons of using NSS over iSCSI or NCP shares over NFS. The new OES2 server(s) will be virtual in vSphere 4 with system partitions using the vSphere storage infrastructure (ReiserFS) and user data on NSS over iSCSI or NCP over NFS.

Here's what I have so far. If I use NSS over iSCSI I can use all the cool OES services that require NSS (I don't have a comprehensive list but know there are some services that require NSS) and do compression, disk quotas, salvage files, etc. If I use NCP over NFS I can use all the cool NetApp tools (Snapshots, Deduplication, etc.) and access the NCP shares directly on the NetApp for admin stuff.

My first go around in the lab I discovered that installing NSS on OES2 can kill Apache/Tomcat rendering iManager, Remote Manager, etc unusable. I'll be looking further into that and/or post these problems in another area.

Any ideas? Any gotchas? Any help will be greatly appreciated.