ZAV ver 8.0.12xx...

ok I am essentially trying to build a standalone virt app for a web app that we use.

It is very specific on the java version used/installed (well to avoid nag screens etc), verion 1.5.011... So getting this webpage to work on work and home PCs with mixed java versions is the goal.

I have gotten this to work on clean test machines (xp and win7) by:

1. Snapshoting installation of java 1.5.011 into a component package

2. Using the ie6 template app + adding the java component above.

This works on all my test machines that do not have java installed at all - SWEET!

PROBLEM: nags and prompts occur when the host machine has a newer version of java installed. Essentially the problem I am trying to fix with ZAV.

The root of the problem is how ie/java handles which java version to use. It will try and use the latest installed, or based on settings... I need to find a way to force version use in virt app.

Another problem is that I just don't seem to understand the relationship of component and application types in ZAV. I would assume that files/reg would merge when you add a component but these items do not show up when building the app (have to open the component seperately). I would assume that virt apps would ALWAYS check the sandbox first, and use what is available in first the app then component, then go to the host machine. This does not seem to be the case here...

These keys (and some others I found) can force java to use a particular version which I want.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\JavaSoft\Java Runtime Environment\BrowserJavaVersion

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\JavaSoft\Java Runtime Environment\CurrentVersion

Even though these keys are in my java component isolation set to "full" the virtual applicaiton still seems to look at the host machine and use its reg keys which then causes the problems I am trying to fix.

Trying to manipulate the zav app I added the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\JavaSoft\Java to my ie6 app and set isolation to "full" hoping that would force the virt app to only look at the values in this key from either the app or component.

What I found was the virt app fails to load java at all, I am guessing because the key is empty and the virt app ignores any values from the key listed in the component because it is listed in the app reg area.

I guess I am going to have to try and add all the values from that key and see what happens.

Anyone figure out how components actually interact with the parent app and host machine. I am baffled trying to figure this out, once I do packaging should become much easier.... What are the rules, app files/reg first then host, then compont... or something else?