Hopefully someone can point me on what to look at for to troubleshoot.
Remote users map to an NSS volume on a newly commisioned OES2 Linux server that has an NSS volume. The remote user's lose conncetivity to the volume. It seems to at random times throughout the day. If the user waits long enough, the drive seems to become available after a few minutes.
I upgraded the Novell client on all remote user's Win XP boxes. I changed SLP so that the remote server is now a DA of the one scope we have. So we have two DAs, one in the main office and one in the remote office. I changed the DA for the remote XP clients.
Thank you