Anyone got any pointers on a GRUB error? Booting the machine hits the install CD that someone left in the drive, so from that, it tries to boot from the local hard disk, and that fails. I get the follow GRUB/isolinux error:

Disk error 20, AX = 0201, drive 80

I'm ~30 miles away from the machine, too. It's an HP Proliant DL385G1, so I'm using iLO to talk to it. So hitting it with a hammer (however tempting that is) is decidedly out of the question.

I gave up on the install CD and got it to remotely eject itself, so now I am able to boot into the system using an old Gentoo LiveCD (via iLO's Virtual Media trick) and manually mounting the drives, so I know that those are fine. I am dealing with a SmartArray 6i here, too, so I have the whole /dev/cciss mess to play with. I also have NSS and am using EVMS.....but, all of that is irrelevant because it appears that GRUB's stage1 isn't even loading.

Drive layout is thus:

/dev/cciss/c0d0 - Disk array (5 SCSI disks, configured into one massive disk)
/dev/cciss/c0d0p1 - first partition, /boot
/dev/cciss/c0d0p2 - Linux LVM, /root
/dev/cciss/c0d0p3 - Novell NSS
And a few others, but their irrelevant (swap, another LVM I think).

Grub is using /dev/cciss/c0d0 as hd0, and I successfully installed it onto (hd0,0), and it doesn't have a single problem. But it just doesn't boot. It just sits there. And mocks me.

I am really, really tempted to just blast GRUB away and kludge LILO onto the system. Simply because LILO works, and it works well. But I am open to suggestions on getting GRUB to work.

All of this started after applying the latest round of Novell patches, but the timestamps on the kernels and GRUB files suggest none of them were updated. So something else touched something that shouldn't have been touched.