I have running as backupserver for our network a SLES 10 SP2 Server. For the Backup there are 2 external Harddisks. After a Power failure on weekend (it was too long for holding the power by the UPS) i cannot start this Server. Everytime by the booting the splashscreen is turning off and i recieve the message: "error on stat() /dev/disk/by-id/usb-Generic_External_395146413639514C20202020-part3 failed (status 0x8). Run manually!
Failed to open the device /dev/disk/by-id/usb-Generic_External_395146413639514C20202020-part3: No such file or directory"
Some lines later i have the possibillity to login as root. OK, i do this, go to the root of the partition and than i run fsck.reiserfs --fix-fixable /dev/disk/by-id/usb-Generic_External_395146413639514C20202020-part3, press enter than i confirm it with Yes and it is running the check there without any problems.
After the first time i did it i was hopefully restarting the server ....... the same result with the error massage and so on. Than i was using every switch to check for all errors what is possible ....... result the same like before. Im afraid i have to reinstall the server. It is only stupid because i try to work with it since one year and every 3 or 4 month there happened anything that i have to reinstall all again. I love my old NETWARE 6.5 servers who are running properly.
Thanks for any idea to can help me not to must reinstall all.